This article, Music Monday (5/4): This Week's New Albums + Videos , originally appeared on Metacritic .
This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Monday, May 4 or Tuesday, May 5 unless otherwise indicated.
. California Nights LISTEN (Tumblr)
The Los Angeles-based indie-rock duo of Bethany Cosentino and Bobb Bruno make the jump to a major label for the first time with this third album (out today, like most of this week's releases), which is their first full-length release since 2012's The Only Place.
. MCIII LISTEN (Spotify)
Frequent Ty Segall collaborator Mikal Cronin may not be quite as prolific as his colleague, but today's MCIII is Cronin's third album in four years. The new album's bigger sound is all Cronin: he plays every instrument on the record, aside from an appearance by a string quartet (though he handled the arrangements himself). The second half of the album features a six-song suite about his school days.
. Born Under Saturn LISTEN (Spotify)
After picking up a Mercury Prize nomination for their self-titled debut album in 2012, the London-based art-rockers return today with a follow-up.
Merge Records co-founder Mac McCaughan has spent the better part of the past three decades playing in bands such as Superchunk and Portastatic. The latter was at one point basically a solo project for McCaughan, but now he kicks off his solo career in earnest with the introspective Non-Believers.
. II LISTEN (Spotify)
The Toronto-based noise-rock trio METZ impressed reviewers with their self-titled 2012 debut. While the band still isn't very fond of album titles, they do seem willing to embrace an even heavier sound on this second effort, which was recorded last year following nearly two straight years on the road.
Mumford and Sons
. Wilder Mind LISTEN (Spotify)
M&S have ditched their trademark banjo and gone electric for their third album and first since 2012's Grammy-winning Babel. James Ford (Simian Mobile Disco) produced the 12-song LP, and the band describes Wilder's heavier sound—which includes some synths and even a drum machine—as a "natural departure" for the group. Much of the new material was written at the Brooklyn studio of The National's Aaron Dessner.
My Morning Jacket
. The Waterfall LISTEN (Spotify)
My Morning Jacket's first album since 2011's Circuital finds the band working once again with producer Tucker Martine. The theme of the record is change, or, as frontman Jim James describes it, "the sound of the page turning and not being sure what’s coming next."
- Actress DJ-Kicks
- All People Learn Forget Repeat LISTEN (Stereogum)
- And So I Watch You From Afar . Heirs LISTEN (Spotify)
- Battle Ave Year of Nod LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Jeff Beck Live+
- Frank Black and the Catholics . The Complete Recordings Box set Compiles all six of the band's studio albums and adds a disc of demos
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Live In Paris 2xCD+DVD
- Peter Broderick . Colours of the Night LISTEN (Spotify)
- Cheatahs Murasaki EP LISTEN (Spotify)
- Ciara Jackie LISTEN (Spotify)
- Coliseum Anxiety’s Kiss LISTEN (YouTube)
- The Dead Ships EP I EP LISTEN (CoS) Produced by Broken Social Scene’s Brendan Canning
- The Dear Hunter Live LISTEN (YouTube)
- Death and Vanilla To Where the Wild Things Are
- Downtown Boys Full Communism LISTEN (Spotify)
- Emika DREI LISTEN (Spotify)
- Fraternal Twin Skin Gets Hot
- Gacha Send Two Sunsets
- Jacco Gardner . Hypnophobia LISTEN (Spotify)
- Holy Ghost! Work for Hire LISTEN (SoundCloud) Compilation of Holy Ghost!'s remix work, including their mixes of tracks by MGMT, Phoenix, Cut Copy, Blood Orange, and more
- Honne Coastal Love EP
- Hop Along . Painted Shut LISTEN (YouTube)
- Mark Isham The Longest Ride OST
- Ivan & Alyosha It's All Just Pretend LISTEN (Spotify)
- Boney James futuresoul
- Kelela Hallucinogen EP Six-song release precedes her official debut album, which is expected in the fall
- LEX LEX EP
- Shelby Lynne I Can't Imagine LISTEN (Spotify)
- Mandolin Orange Such Jubilee
- Bret Michaels True Grit
- Nosaj Thing Fated LISTEN (Spotify)
- Oddisee The Good Fight LISTEN (Spotify)
- Other Lives . Rituals LISTEN (CoS)
- Pale Honey Pale Honey LISTEN (CoS)
- Palma Violets . Danger in the Club
- Robert Pollard Faulty Superheroes
- Pompeya Real
- Michael Rault Living Daylight
- Rey Pila The Future Sugar
- Rioux Evolver EP
- Rose Windows Rose Windows LISTEN (The Quietus)
- Todd Rundgren, Emil Nikolaisen, Hans-Peter Lindstrøm Runddans LISTEN (The New Yorker) Collaboration between Rundgren, Serena-Maneesh member Nikolaisen, and the artist who records under the name Lindstrøm consists of a single, 39-minute track
- Nadine Shah . Fast Food
- Six Feet Under Crypt Of The Devil
- The Speedbumps Soil to the Seed
- Chris Stapleton Traveller
- Super Furry Animals Mwng 2xCD LISTEN (Spotify) 15th anniversary deluxe reissue of the band's only Welsh-language LP adds bonus tracks, a previously unreleased Peel session, and a live concert
- Tech N9ne Special Effects LISTEN (Spotify)
- Thin Lips Divorce Year EP
- Torres . Sprinter LISTEN (Spotify)
- Andreya Triana Giants
- Turnover Peripheral Vision LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Twinsmith Alligator Years LISTEN (Spotify)
- Van Hunt The Fun Rises, The Fun Sets
- Various Bloodborne OST
- Various Chef Vol. 2 OST
- Various Now 54: That's What I Call Music
- Various PC Music Volume 1 LISTEN (Spotify) Label compilation
- Walls Urals LISTEN (Spotify)
- Warm Soda Symbolic Dream LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Wise Blood Babyland EP LISTEN (Stereogum)
- The Word Soul Food LISTEN (Spotify) First album in 14 years for the group consisting of members of North Mississippi Allstars plus keyboardist John Medeski and guitarist Robert Randolph
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Ryan Adams TRACKS “I Do Not Feel Like Being Good,” “How Much Light,” and “In The Dark” (new 7" single) streaming at Spotify.
- Blancmange TRACK "Eleanor" streaming at The Quietus.
- Tyondai Braxton ALBUM HIVE1 streaming until its 5/12 release at NPR.
- Disclosure TRACK "Bang That" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Earl Sweatshirt TRACK "Solace" streaming at YouTube.
- Everything Everything TRACK "Regret" streaming at YouTube.
- Foxygen TRACK "24 Hour Lover Man" streaming at YouTube.
- Future Islands TRACK "Haunted by You" streaming at YouTube.
- Daughn Gibson TRACK "It Wants Everything" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell ALBUM The Traveling Kind streaming until its 5/12 release at NPR.
- Joanna Gruesome ALBUM Peanut Butter streaming until its 5/19 release at NPR.
- Mates of State TRACK "Staring Contest" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Miguel TRACK "Coffee (F***ing)" (feat. Wale) streaming at YouTube.
- Marissa Nadler TRACK "Carnival" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Prurient TRACK "Frozen Niagara Falls (Portion One)" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Nate Ruess TRACK "AhHa" streaming at YouTube.
- Arthur Russell TRACK "Ocean Movie" (previously unreleased early 1980s recording) streaming at YouTube.
- Shit Robot TRACK "Where It's At" (feat. Reggie Watts) streaming at YouTube.
- Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin TRACK "Trevor Forever" streaming at YouTube.
- Britney Spears and Iggy Azalea TRACK "Pretty Girls" streaming at YouTube.
- Surfer Blood ALBUM 1000 Palms streaming until its 5/12 release at NPR.
- Tame Impala TRACK "Disciples" streaming at YouTube.
- Richard Thompson TRACK "Beatnik Walking" (produced by Jeff Tweedy) streaming at SoundCloud.
- Titus Andronicus TRACK "Dimed Out" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- The Vaccines TRACK "Minimal Affection" streaming at YouTube.
- Chelsea Wolfe TRACK "Iron Moon" streaming at SoundCloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
Monday: The Avett Brothers and Brandi Carlile (Letterman), Mikal Cronin (Conan), Imagine Dragons with REO Speedwagon (Kimmel)
Tuesday: Best Coast (Conan), Fetty Wap (Fallon), Imagine Dragons (Kimmel), Mumford & Sons (Letterman), OK Go (Corden)
Wednesday: Noel Gallagher (Fallon), Norah Jones (Letterman), Maroon 5 (Kimmel), They Might Be Giants (Conan), Twin Shadow (Meyers)
Thursday: Kat Dahlia (Meyers), Brandon Flowers (Kimmel), Mumford & Sons (The Daily Show), The Vaccines (Fallon)
Friday: Dave Matthews Band (Letterman), U2 (Fallon)
Saturday: Florence + the Machine (Saturday Night Live), Natalie Prass (CBS This Morning Saturday Sessions)
Recent artist and industry news
Watch a documentary about the making of Blur's new album The Magic Whip.
Music streaming service Grooveshark has shut down after years of lawsuits filed against them by the music industry. - Exclaim
One Direction tops Billboard's list of 2014's top-earning music artists.
Singer Ben E. King, best known for his hit "Stand By Me," has died at the age of 76. - Billboard
The latest music videos
Muse, "Dead Inside":
Alabama Shakes, "Sound & Color":
Death From Above 1979, "Virgins":
Tobias Jesso Jr., "Without You":
Django Django, "Reflections":
Toro y Moi, "Lilly":
Twin Shadow, "I'm Ready":
Major Lazer feat. Andy Samberg, "Bass Drop":
Brandon Flowers, "Lonely Town":
Ceremony, "Your Life in France":
METZ, "The Swimmer":
In the studio / coming soon
Disclosure's second album will be out before the end of the year. - Billboard
Abyss, Chelsea Wolfe's follow up to Pain Is Beauty, arrives on August 7th. - RS
Nas announced that he will release a new album this summer. - Billboard
The next LP from Deftones is tentatively set for a September 25 release. - CoS
Miguel will release his next album, Wildheart, this summer.
A compilation of unreleased Kurt Cobain home recordings could get a commercial release this summer. - Billboard
Titus Andronicus are going big for their next album, billed as a rock opera about manic depression. The Most Lamentable Tragedy clocks in at 93 minutes and 29 tracks, spread across 2 CDs (or 3 LPs). It's out July 28th on Merge. - Grantland
Swans will return to the studio in September to work on a new album. - Stereogum
Kanye West tweeted yesterday that he has changed the name of his upcoming album from So Help Me God to SWISH. There's still no word on a release date.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
Basement Jaxx's summer tour features their first U.S. live dates in nearly a decade. - CoS
Delta Spirit's upcoming tour will be loaded with special guests, including members of The Walkmen and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. - CoS
Kraftwerk will take their 3D tour to additional North American cities this fall. - Billboard
Ride have announced a short U.S. tour for the fall. - Pitchfork