This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, August 12 unless otherwise indicated.
Reviews are mostly outstanding so far for this debut album from Tahliah Barnett, the young British ballet dancer-turned-singer who records under the name FKA twigs. She previously impressed critics with EPs in 2012 and 2013, and this full-length effort continues to showcase her minimalist, experimental R&B sound and whispery vocals.
The Gaslight Anthem
Recorded in Nashville and produced by Mike Crossey (Arctic Monkeys), the rock band's "completely different" fifth album is their first since their major-label debut, 2012's Handwritten. Frontman Brian Fallon, whose divorce served as inspiration for the new songs, has already warned that critics will hate the new album, and he's not necessarily wrong.
- Kris Allen Horizons
- Blur Live at the Budokan First worldwide release of 1995 live set
- Childhood Lacuna
- City Tribe Undertow LISTEN (Paste)
- Daft Punk Human After All (Remixes) LISTEN (Spotify) Japan-only 2006 remix album has been released in the U.S. for the first time, but only as a digital release (via )
- Dilated Peoples Directors of Photography First album in 8 years
- FaltyDL In the Wild LISTEN (NY Times)
- Grumbling Fur Preternaturals
- Ethan Johns The Reckoning LISTEN (NY Times) U.S. release
- Caleb Johnson Testify Debut for the newest American Idol winner
- Lucero Live From Atlanta 2xCD LISTEN (Spin)
- Shawn Mendes The Shawn Mendes EP EP
- µ-Ziq Rediffusion EP
- Sinéad O'Connor I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss LISTEN (NPR)
- The Pharmacy Spells
- The Polyphonic Spree Psychphonic LISTEN (Paste)
- Rivergazer Random Nostalgia
- Porter Robinson Worlds LISTEN (NPR)
- Brian Setzer Rockabilly Riot! All Original
- The Silver State Outside
- SOJA Amid the Noise And Haste
- Chris Staples American Soft
- Tank Stronger
- The Underachievers The Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium LISTEN (NPR)
- Various Hohokum OST Soundtrack to the new PlayStation game features Matthew Dear, Tycho, Com Truise, and more
- Mirel Wagner When The Cellar Children See The Light Of Day
- Walking Bicycles To Him That Wills The Way
- Watsky All You Can Do
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Bass Drum of Death TRACK "Left For Dead" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Bishop Allen ALBUM Lights Out streaming until its 8/19 release at NPR.
- Benjamin Booker ALBUM Benjamin Booker streaming until its 8/19 release at NPR.
- Cymbals Eat Guitars ALBUM Lose streaming until its 8/26 release at NPR.
- Electric Würms [Flaming Lips side project] TRACK "I Could Only See Clouds" streaming at NPR.
- Ex Hex TRACK "Beast" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Dntel TRACK "If I Stay a Minute" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mike Doughty TRACK "Light Will Keep Your Heart Beating In The Future" streaming at Billboard.
- Orenda Fink ALBUM Blue Dream streaming until its 8/19 release at NPR.
- Godflesh TRACK "New Dark Ages" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Gold Panda TRACK "Clarke's Dream" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Imogen Heap ALBUM Sparks streaming until its 8/19 release at NPR.
- Jason Feathers [Bon Iver's Justin Vernon and S. Carey + rapper Astronautilus] ALBUM De Oro (out next week) streaming at Pitchfork.
- Kimbra ALBUM The Golden Echo streaming until its 8/19 release at NPR.
- Kindness TRACK "World Restart" (feat. Kelela & Ade) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lemonade TRACK "Come Down Softly" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lil Wayne TRACK "Grindin" (feat. Drake) streaming at YouTube.
- Literature ALBUM Chorus streaming until its 8/19 release at Hype Machine.
- Cliff Martinez TRACK "Son Of Placenta Previa" (from The Knick OST, out 8/19) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Medicine TRACK "Turning" streaming at YouTube.
- Merchandise TRACK "Green Lady" streaming at YouTube.
- Mr. Twin Sister TRACK "Blush" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Nicholas Nicholas ALBUM Wrong streaming until its 8/19 release at Hype Machine.
- Stevie Nicks TRACK "The Dealer" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Pallbearer ALBUM Foundations of Burden streaming until its 8/19 release at Pitchfork.
- Ty Segall TRACK "Susie Thumb" downloadable from KEXP.
- Stars TRACK "From the Night" streaming at NPR.
- Tweedy TRACK "High As Hello" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Wu-Tang Clan TRACK "Ron O'Neal" (studio version) streaming at Soundcloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Benjamin Booker (Conan), OneRepublic (Fallon), St. Vincent (guest bandleader on Late Night With Seth Meyers all this week), Strand of Oaks (Meyers)
- Tuesday: Kings of Leon (Fallon), Lake Street Dive (Conan), Magic Man (Meyers)
- Wednesday: Ryan Adams (Fallon), Ty Segall (Conan)
- Thursday: Boy George (Meyers), Kesha (Conan), OK Go (Yahoo! Screen, 9:45p ET)
- Friday: Linkin Park (Yahoo! Screen, 9:20p ET)
- Sunday: Goo Goo Dolls (Yahoo! Screen, 9p ET)
Recent artist and industry news
- Folk duo The Civil Wars have confirmed that they have broken up. - Billboard
- The Pulp documentary film Pulp: A Film About Life, Death & Supermarkets might be coming to a theater near you.
The latest music videos
Alt-J, "Left Hand Free":
Emily Browning and Belle & Sebastian, "God Help the Girl":
Bishop Allen, "Why I Had To Go":
Twin Peaks, "I Found a New Way":
Moonface, "City Wrecker":
Rustie feat. Danny Brown, "Attak":
Azealia Banks, "Heavy Metal And Reflective":
Lil Wayne, "Krazy":
Wu-Tang Clan, "Ron O'Neal" [live on The Daily Show]:
In the studio / coming soon
- Foo Fighters have announced a November 10 release date for their new album Sonic Highways. - Billboard
- Dntel, one of several recording projects for Jimmy Tamborello (The Postal Service), will release fifth album Human Voice on September 23rd.
- It looks like Leonard Cohen will celebrate his 80th birthday next month with the release of a new album, Popular Problems. - Rolling Stone
- Kindness, the music project of Adam Bainbridge, will follow 2012's World, You Need A Change Of Mind with second album Otherness on 10/14, featuring collaborations with Robyn, Dev Hynes, and Kelela.
- Duran Duran's next album will find the band working once again with producer Nile Rogers (who produced 1986's Notorious, among other Duran Duran releases). Mark Ronson will also produce a portion of the album, which is due in 2015. - Billboard
- Paul McCartney has collaborated with Halo composers Marty O'Donnell and Mike Salvatori to write the score for the upcoming video game Destiny. - NY Times
- The revived Medicine will release the second album since re-forming, Home Everywhere, on October 28th.
- Mr. Twin Sister (formerly known as Twin Sister) will release a new self-titled album on September 23rd.
- Mouse on Mars will release a double-disc set, 21 Again, on October 31st, featuring collaborations with 23 artists, including Tortoise, Junior Boys, Machinedrum, and Matthew Herbert. - Resident Advisor
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Little Dragon have a new round of North American dates set for October. - Pitchfork
- Robert Plant has announced a handful of North American dates in support of his upcoming album. - Billboard
- Skrillex's fall tour kicks off at the end of September and runs into November. - Pitchfork
- Arts & Entertainment
- Brian Fallon
- Mike Crossey
- Shawn Mendes