Having an adult baseball nationally-recognized World Series has been one of the highlights of summer for most of the past eight decades in Battle Creek.
That will continue as the National Amateur Baseball Federation, the oldest amateur baseball organization in the United States, will keep its Major Division World Series at Bailey Park, signing an agreement for the 2022-23 events.
The Southern Michigan Amateur Baseball Association of Battle Creek will run the local event once again with the 108th NABF Major Division World Series set for Aug. 3-7.
"The SMABA is pleased to bring back the World Series for the next two years and is happy that the NABF desired to make a greater investment to keep the series in the Cereal City for the next two Augusts. Derek Topik, executive director of the NABF, and the board of directors were committed to preserving Battle Creek as the home of the Major Division World Series and to working with the strong leadership of the SMABA," said tournament organizer Terry Newton.
The 2020 event was postponed due to COVID concerns, but an expanded 16-team 2021 event was held in August last summer. At the time, that was the last event scheduled in the contract with the NABF.
"It was a situation where the NABF really did not want to leave Battle Creek, so we negotiated a way to keep it here," Newton said. "They felt strongly they wanted to stay here. We have an outstanding relationship with the NABF, so they were willing to make a more active role in supporting this World Series.
"Our local group is getting older and we are not as large as we were 10 years ago, so we needed some help."
Battle Creek hosted the AABC Stan Musial World Series since 1937. In 2013, the NABF World Series made Battle Creek its home.
"We are really excited the World Series will remain here," Newton said. "The changes we made last year, adding teams, worked great for us. Teams like coming here. The NABF loves our facilities, they like the number of hotels we have available. They like having their World Series here, and the new agreement works for us, so it will be returning."
This article originally appeared on Battle Creek Enquirer: NABF World Series to return for two more years