Natalie Zea‘s latest career detour is leading her straight into an apocalyptic sinkhole.
The TV fave — who is coming off a four-season run on TBS’ The Detour — has nabbed the female lead in NBC’s doomsday drama pilot La Brea, TVLine has learned.
More from TVLine
- Janina Gavankar to Star in NBC's Time-Traveling Procedural Pilot Echo
- America Ferrera Leaving Superstore
- This Is Us' Jack Damon Flash-Forward: Photos, Clues and Theories About the Future of Kate and Toby's Rockstar Son
The potential series revolves around a family whose life is torn apart when a massive sinkhole mysteriously opens in Los Angeles, separating a mother (Zea) and son from father (Once Upon a Time‘s Michael Raymond James) and daughter (newcomer Zyra Gorecki). When part of the family finds themselves in an unexplainable primeval world, alongside a disparate group of strangers, they must work to survive and uncover the mystery of where they are and if there is a way back home.
David Appelbaum (The Enemy Within) penned the La Brea script and will serve as an EP.
Zea’s TV credits also include stints on FX’s Justified, Showtime’s Californication and ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money.
To keep up with all of the 2020 pilots currently in contention at the broadcast networks, check out (and bookmark!) our handy Pilot Guide, which has been updated with Zea’s LaBrea casting.
Best of TVLine
- Stars Who Almost Played Other TV Roles — on Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, Lost, Gilmore Girls, Friends and Other Shows
- TV Stars Almost Cast in Other Roles
- The Big Bang Theory Pilot Revisited: 15 Memorable Moments (Including a Few In-Hindsight Continuity Errors)