NATO formally ended its war in Afghanistan on Sunday, holding a low-key ceremony in Kabul after 13 years of conflict that have left the country in the grip of worsening insurgent violence. The event was arranged in secret due to the threat of Taliban strikes in the Afghan capital, which has been hit by repeated suicide bombings and gun attacks over recent years. "Together... we have lifted the Afghan people out of the darkness of despair and given them hope for the future," NATO combat mission commander US General John Campbell told assembled soldiers. "You've made Afghanistan stronger and our countries safer." On January 1, the transatlantic alliance's US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) combat mission, which has suffered 3,485 military deaths since 2001, will be replaced by a NATO "training and support" mission. About 12,500 foreign troops staying in Afghanistan will not be involved in direct fighting, but will assist the Afghan army and police in their battle against the Taliban, who ruled from 1996 until 2001. When numbers peaked in 2011, about 130,000 troops from 50 nations were part of the NATO military alliance. "I hope you take great pride in the positive impact you've made and will continue to make upon the Afghan people," Campbell said in a speech released by ISAF on Twitter as live broadcasts were banned for security reasons. Campbell folded up the ISAF flag and unveiled the flag of the new mission, named Resolute Support. A new US mission, Operation Freedom's Sentinel, will focus on training, advising and assisting Afghan troops, as well as on counterterrorism. US President Barack Obama praised the "milestone" end of the combat mission. He warned, however, that "Afghanistan remains a dangerous place, and the Afghan people and their security forces continue to make tremendous sacrifices in defense of their country." US troops "will continue to face risks" in Afghanistan, Obama said, emphasizing "the enduring commitment of the United States to the Afghan people." US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel lauded the "hard and heroic work" of American troops in America's longest war, saying they "made our world safer." - Taliban strength - Sunday's ceremony -- held in a sports hall at NATO headquarters -- completed the gradual handover of responsiblity to the 350,000-strong Afghan forces, who have been in charge of nationwide security since last year. But recent bloodshed has undermined claims that the insurgency is weakening and has highlighted fears that the international intervention has failed as Afghanistan faces spiralling violence. The United Nations says that civilian casualties hit a record high in 2014, jumping by 19 percent with 3,188 civilians killed by the end of November. Afghan's police and army have also suffered a grim death toll, with fatalities soaring to more than 4,600 in the first 10 months of 2014 -- far higher than all ISAF deaths since 2001. "The US and NATO mission was an absolute failure as today's ceremony shows," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told AFP. "They are fleeing from Afghanistan. They have not reached their goals in defeating the Afghan mujahideen." - Afghan forces up to task? - US and Afghan commanders insist the national security forces can hold the line against the Taliban despite concerns of a repeat of Iraq, where an American-trained army virtually collapsed in the face of a jihadist onslaught. "Our sons and daughters of ANSF (Afghan National Security Forces) are in the lead, fighting to protect security interests. God willing, they will prevail," national security adviser Mohmmad Hanif Atmar said at the ceremony. Since 2001, billions of dollars of aid have been spent in Afghanistan on new schools, hospitals, roads and promoting women's rights, but corruption has been endemic and progress limited, even in the cities. This year's presidential election, which was meant to be the keystone legacy of the development effort, was marred by fraud and a prolonged standoff between the two poll rivals that fanned further unrest. Ashraf Ghani eventually emerged as the new president in a power-sharing deal with Abdullah Abdullah. But their "unity government" has failed to appoint any new ministers three months after taking power. Ghani hopes to bring peace to Afghanistan after decades of conflict, saying he is open to talks with any insurgent group. Hamid Karzai, president from 2001 until 2014, opened preliminary contacts with the Taliban but they collapsed acrimoniously last year. The US will continue to provide some air support for the Afghan military, and may extend operations if required to prevent rapid Taliban advances. Recent insurgent targets in Kabul have included foreign guesthouses, diplomatic convoys and Afghan army buses.
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
- Lebron Wire
Here is what the NBA had to say about the Indiana Pacers fans that LeBron James told referees to eject.
- Footwear News
Lauren Sanchez in a brown strappy dress while celebrating Thanksgiving with Jeff Bezos.
- Footwear News
Saweetie in a jewel encrusted dress and pink stiletto heels for Pirelli 2022 calendar
- The Oklahoman
Taking a look at five candidates to replace Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley.
Get ready to say, "Aww!"
Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau confirmed that Kemba Walker is "out of the rotation" and Alec Burks will remain the point guard.
- Footwear News
For the December issue of Vogue Hong Kong, Paris Jackson wore a Burberry one-piece outfit. The ensemble also included a sheer fabric and a circle cutout that appeared on the side of her legs. The actress paired her look with Bulgari jewelry and nude pointed-toe stiletto heels. She styled her hair to the side and let a few strands drape the side of her face. Neutral makeup was a great choice as her outfit deserved all of the attention.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella sold half of his stake in the company in a series of transactions last week, divesting about 840,000 shares for a sum of more than $285 million, according to a regulatory filing. Nadella sold the shares “for personal financial planning and diversification reasons,” the Redmond-based company said in a statement Monday afternoon. “He is committed to the continued success of the company and his holdings significantly exceed the holding requirements set by the Microsoft B
- The Providence Journal
Mark Daniels' take on Mac Jones, New England Patriots rookie quarterback, who continues to make other teams look bad for passing on him in the NFL Draft.
- The Oklahoman
Several assistants, including Bill Bedenbaugh and Alex Grinch, will be joining Lincoln Riley's coaching staff at USC.
- NBC Sports
The Copa America and Copa del Rey winner with Argentina and Barcelona, respectively, moves two clear of Cristiano Ronaldo.
- USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek
Tiger Woods opens up to Golf Digest on future: ‘I don’t have to compete and play against the best players in the world to have a great life’
Tiger Woods opened up to Golf Digest on his PGA Tour future and his son, Charlie.
- Yahoo Sports
The Rangers are not fooling around. Seager joins Marcus Semien in a marquee middle infield.
- Madame Noire
Rihanna bared all with her latest Savage X Fenty offering designed just in time for the holidays.
- The Providence Journal
More than 20 years ago, Mike Moffitt started getting a lot of calls from a Florida phone number from a woman trying to reach her daughter.
- KABC – Los Angeles
An aspiring architect who was mysteriously dropped off at a hospital in West Los Angeles after a night out with her friend is now brain dead, according to family members.
- College Football News
Bowl Projections and College Football Playoff Picks: Week 13. They're the last big bowl projections before it all comes out next Sunday.
- Badgers Wire
The former Badger is staying in the Big Ten conference
Julia Roberts Celebrates Twins Hazel and Phinnaeus' 17th Birthday with Rare Photo: 'Sweetest Years of Life'
The Pretty Woman star shares the twins with husband and cinematographer Danny Moder
- Atlanta Black Star
‘I Decided’: New York Teen Baseball Star Refused to Accept Act of Racism At Private Prep School, He Chose to Leave In Response to Derogatory Comment About His Speed
A 16-year-old baseball phenom has transferred from an elite New Rochelle, New York, prep school to attend his local public school in his junior year. […]