On Friday on "Tamron Hall," reality star NeNe Leakes gave her first televised interview since announcing that she was leaving the "Real Housewives of Atlanta," tearing up as she hinted at behind the scenes mistreatment.
In September, Leakes posted a video to her YouTube Channel announcing that she would not be part of the upcoming 13th season of the show. She said “it wasn’t any easy decision” for her.
More recently on social media, Leakes has made veiled references to the Bravo series, alleging discrimination and systemic racism.
“Sometimes when people are watching these shows you only see what’s happening on the surface and not everything that’s happening behind the scenes,” she told Tamron Hall.
- The biggest thing is, you know, loving somebody, or caring, or really loyal to then loyal to them, and not getting the same thing in return.
NARRATOR: On Friday on "Tamron Hall," reality star NeNe Leakes gave her first televised interview since leaving the "Real Housewives of Atlanta," In September, Leakes posted a video to her YouTube channel, announcing that she would not be part of the upcoming season of the show.
- I have made the very hard and difficult decision to not be a part of "Real Housewives of Atlanta," season 13.
NARRATOR: Recently, Leakes has made veiled references to being mistreated behind the scenes of the Bravo series, hinting at discrimination and systemic racism. Tamron Hall attempted to cut through the cryptic tweets, but Leakes remained vague, and grew emotional.
- Sometimes, when people are watching these shows-- you only see what's happening on the surface, and hides everything that's happening behind the scenes.
NARRATOR: Leakes' issue is that, according to her, her role on the show has been consistently reduced. Hall responded by asking what sort of resolution she was seeking.
- I can't tell you everything that I want from them, but I can tell you that I want fair treatment. I deserve fair treatment. I'm as confused as you are.
TAMRON HALL: Do you want to be back on the show?
- No, I do not.
NARRATOR: Hall continued to prod Leakes about her intentions, especially given that the main ingredients to any "Real Housewives" series includes conflict, backstabbing, and drama. Leakes maintains she was not out for revenge, but doubled down on being mistreated.
- I don't want to get them back. I would never sit here, on national television, and tell you that something has happened to me and it did not happen to me.