KYIV (Reuters) -Ukrainian troops said on Saturday they had taken the key bastion of Lyman in occupied eastern Ukraine, a stinging defeat that prompted a close ally of President Vladimir Putin to call for the possible use of low-grade nuclear weapons. The capture came just a day after Putin proclaimed the annexation of four Ukrainian regions - including Donetsk, where Lyman is located - and placed them under Russia's nuclear umbrella, at a ceremony that was condemned by Kyiv and the West as an illegitimate farce.
A duo that had been declared winners of a fishing tournament series event were caught in a cheating scandal after a tournament official discovered weights stuffed inside their fish. Videos from the Lake Erie Walleye Trail Championship event show teammates Chase Cominsky, of Hermitage, Pennsylvania, and Jake Runyon, of Cleveland posing for a photo with fish just minutes before an official discovers something inside the animals. The two were the season's leaders for “team of the year,” according to The Herald, a newspaper in Western Pennsylvania.
Bottles of medication designed to keep blood pressure down contained medication designed to help prevent strokes and blood clots in people with heart conditions, causing a recall of one lot of each. This packaging mixup comes from Golden State Medical Supply, which said in its FDA-posted recall notice that it learned that a bottle labeled as having 25 mg tablets of hypertension drug Atenolol actually had 75 mg tablets of Clopidogrel. Patients and caregivers should take the recalled drugs back to their pharmacy or contact the prescribing medical professional for instructions on what to do.
A trans woman shared their “horrible” experience going through airport security on TikTok, and it opened up a larger conversation about the struggles trans people face on a regular basis. Rosalynne Montoya identifies as a non-binary transgender woman. In March, they were traveling to visit their boyfriend when they experienced an embarrassing back-and-forth with a TSA agent.
The retreat came one day after Putin claimed the region was part of Russia. Powerful allies to Putin said Russian military leaders should be punished over the retreat. Powerful supporters of Russian President Vladimir Putin criticized the military's retreat from a city in Ukraine on Saturday, one day after the president claimed to have annexed the region.
The US Navy said it found only "traces" of jet fuel in the water on the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. The US Navy acknowledged recently that the water the crew of the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz uses to bathe and drink was contaminated by what it described as "traces" of jet fuel, but a sailor on the ship said the situation was worse than the service first let on.
Tesla's long-anticipated AI robot made its official debut by dancing and waving on stage at the company's AI Day. At last year's AI Day, Musk announced his plans for the bot by having a human in a robot costume dance onstage. Tesla's long-anticipated AI humanoid robot, Optimus, made its public debut on Friday night at the company's AI Day.
VALENTYNA ROMANENKO – SUNDAY, 2 OCTOBER 2022, 10:46 Ukrainian border guards have appealed to enlisted Russians, urging them not to enter Ukraine. Source: Press service of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine Details: "For the first and last time," the message immediately emphasises. The border guards addressed the representatives of Russia in their language.
Gaetz is no stranger to voting against hurricane relief as the lawmaker didn't vote in favor of a $15 billion relief package as Hurricane Irma — which led to at least 92 deaths in the contiguous United States — approached Florida in 2017, the Miami Herald reported. Gaetz did, however, pass a separate $7.5 billion hurricane relief bill earlier that week. The $15 billion package was linked to a deal between Democrats and then-President Donald Trump to raise the debt ceiling and fund the government until December 2017.
After being encircled by Ukrainian forces, Russia pulled troops out Saturday from an eastern Ukrainian city that it had been using as a front-line hub. It was the latest victory for the Ukrainian counteroffensive that has humiliated and angered the Kremlin. Russia's withdrawal from Lyman complicates its internationally vilified declaration just a day earlier that it had annexed four regions of Ukraine — an area that includes Lyman.
The images that have come out of Southwest Florida — during and after Hurricane Ian — are jarring. Entire city stretches submerged. Roofs floating away.
I'm sure he has a nickname for me. Trump's post—which attacked McConnell for allowing Democratic bills to pass in order to spite the ex-president, and which also accused the minority leader of trying to “take the country down with him”—launched a fervor of anger over its apparent call for violence and its attack on Chao, McConnell's wife, who is a U.S. citizen and was born in Taiwan. Bash continued to press the senator, who holds a Senate leadership position as head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, on how Republicans could stand by a post that seemed flagrantly racist.
Officials have disclosed the identities of five people killed in a Central Texas neighborhood, as well as the suspect in the slayings. The Texas Department of Public Safety said Friday that Nicolas Jaimes-Hernandez, 35, of Mexico, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The DPS identified them as Monica Delgado, 38, Miguel Avila, 15, and Natallie Avila, 14, along with next-door neighbors Lorena Aviles, 47, and her daughter, Natalie Aviles, 20.
A Hertz customer was arrested after being accused of stealing a rental car, a lawsuit stated. Antwanette Hill is one of hundreds of people suing Hertz for wrongful arrests over "stolen" cars. A father and his daughter faced armed police after the company reported their rental car as stolen.
Notorious American serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer claimed the lives of 17 victims between 1978 and 1991. Due to police negligence and their failue to believe his neighbor's complaints of suspicious behavior, Dahmer was able to commit his heinous crimes for over a decade. Now, with the new Netflix miniseries called Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story becoming a popular show for true crime junkies and a curious audience, people are left wondering what happened to Dahmer after his arrest.
The defense team in the Capitol riot trial of the Oath Keepers leader is relying on an unusual strategy with Donald Trump at the center. Lawyers for Stewart Rhodes, founder of the extremist group, are poised to argue that jurors cannot find him guilty of seditious conspiracy because all the actions he took before the siege on Jan. 6, 2021, were in preparation for orders he anticipated from the then-president — orders that never came. Rhodes and four associates are accused of plotting for weeks to stop the transfer of presidential power from the Republican incumbent to Democrat Joe Biden, culminating with Oath Keepers in battle gear storming the Capitol alongside hundreds of other Trump supporters.
I made that video to prove anti-white ivory tower professors, like the one in your studio, wrong,” Witt says to Dr. Phil in the video above. This video and the others I've made like it, with Native Americans, with Mexicans, with the Chinese you just watched, are irrefutable evidence that people like that professor are exactly wrong on cultural appropriation. Hear more from Witt in the video above, including what he says to Dr. Neal Lester, Foundation Professor of English at Arizona State University, who says people need to be concerned about cultural appropriation.
What's even better news is that, unlike in 2022, many Social Security recipients are more likely to see the full amount of their cost-of-living adjustment actually hit their bank accounts. That's because the impact of another key program for older Americans, Medicare, is likely to reverse the painful blow it dealt participants this time last year. How Medicare took away a big part of 2022's Social Security COLA The 5.9% COLA that took effect at the beginning of 2022 increased benefits for about 70 million Americans.
Even after three months of captivity that included execution threats, physical torture, solitary confinement and food deprivation, it was the ride to freedom that nearly broke Alex Drueke, a U.S. military veteran released last week with nine other prisoners who went to help Ukraine fight off Russian invaders. Drueke said he and fellow American prisoner Andy Huynh reached their limit in this state during the transit, which occurred in a series of vehicles from eastern Ukraine to an airport in Russia that was surrounded by armed guards. “For all we went through and all the times we thought we might die, we accepted that we might die, we were ready to die when it came, that ride was the only time that each of us independently prayed for death just to get it over with,” Drueke told The Associated Press in an interview Friday.
A pair of disturbances are in the Atlantic Ocean Sunday morning, one of which the National Hurricane Center estimates has a high chance of becoming a storm system by next weekend and one of which has a high chance of becoming nothing. This disturbance in the eastern Atlantic Ocean, several hundred miles south of the Cabo Verde Islands, has a 30% chance of becoming a tropical depression before Tuesday, but a 70% chance of doing so before Friday. It's chances of becoming a tropical depression by Tuesday are put at 10% and only at 20% by Friday.
Marjorie Taylor Greene spoke at a rally for Donald Trump in Michigan on Saturday night. A video shows her accusing Democrats of murdering Republicans, saying the "killings" have already begun. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene deceptively claimed at a rally for former President Donald Trump in Warren, Michigan, on Saturday that Democrats are murdering Republicans.
The company, however, did not elaborate on the threats that Sandberg, one of the most powerful women in Silicon Valley, faces. It expects to continue to pay for security services at her residences and during her personal travel from Oct. 1 till June 30 next year. Sandberg, a close associate of Meta's Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg, said in June she would depart the social media giant after a 14-year stint when she led the company's often-criticized ads-based business model.
Dmitry Medvedev, the Deputy Chairman of the Russian Security Council, believes that Ukraine's accession to NATO will accelerate the outbreak of World War III. Details: Medvedev also commented on the words of NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg that if Ukraine stops fighting, it will disappear as a state.
The remaining four Cape Romano dome homes have indeed collapsed into the Gulf of Mexico following a final lashing by Hurricane Ian, photos and videos from a local sheller confirm. Alex Demooy of Breakwater Adventures and Athena Custodio, both of Naples, were out shelling on Friday morning when they came across what remained of the iconic and popular structures. Now, just the concrete top of one of the dome homes could be seen at low tide, appearing almost like the back of a small white whale as it comes up for air.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Justice Department on Friday moved to expedite its appeal of an order appointing a special master to review records the FBI seized from former President Donald Trump's Florida estate. In a court filing late on Friday, the Justice Department said its inability to access the non-classified documents is still hampering significant aspects of its investigation on the retention of government records at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate. The Justice Department is asking the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to order all papers be filed in the case by Nov. 11, and hold any necessary hearing in the case as soon as that briefing is completed.
“They give voters the chance to hear candidate views. In their own words. In real time.”
“There is campaigning, and there is governing. Two different things. … In the end, it is governing that really matters.”
“We are in a crisis of democracy, and we need to be able to figure out how to disagree.”
“In very close races, small mistakes can prove decisive, or at least knock a campaign in the wrong direction for a few days.”
“The debates themselves are shaping up to be major campaign issues. It’s tedious, and it does not serve the voters.”