From no D-I offers to sixth man: How Jack Campion earned his spot with USI basketball

EVANSVILLE — Jack Campion had a decision to make.

The rest of the University of Southern Indiana men’s basketball team was on campus for offseason workouts. He was eager to join his future teammates. So much so that he was even willing to miss out on an opportunity to play in a state championship.

Campion, a three-sport standout athlete at Milton High School in Wisconsin, was set to be the starting pitcher for the Red Hawks in their first game of the state finals. He called USI head coach Stan Gouard and asked him if he should miss the tournament to come to practice. Gouard was quick to tell him to stay.

“You’ve earned it,” Gouard recalls saying.

Campion’s Milton team ended up winning Wisconsin’s Division I tournament. He showed up to USI’s minicamp just days after the final game on June 16. He was ready for the chance to prove he belonged.

Latest USI basketball news:Insider: No moral victories for USI men's basketball in competitive loss to Notre Dame

Something he had been waiting patiently for since he committed on May 15 to USI — the only Division I school to offer him a scholarship.

“They were basically the ones that gave me a chance,” Campion said. “They believed in me. I’ve got to prove what I can do here.”

Southern Indiana’s Jack Campion (24) calls a play as the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles play the Midway Eagles at Screaming Eagles Arena in Evansville, Ind., Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2022.
Southern Indiana’s Jack Campion (24) calls a play as the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles play the Midway Eagles at Screaming Eagles Arena in Evansville, Ind., Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2022.

It hasn’t taken long for the 5-foot-11 freshman point guard to make an impact for the Screaming Eagles. Just four games into his college career, he’s earned the role of backup point guard. He’s also quickly becoming a fan favorite with the hustle and energy he seems to bring with every play.

His best performance thus far came Friday night in USI’s 87-55 win against D-III Loras College. Campion scored eight points, dished seven assists, grabbed three rebounds and notched three steals in 24 minutes. Gouard admits he grows more impressed with Campion each night.

“He’s going to be really good for us,” Gouard said, before stopping himself. “He’s already good for us. But he’s going to be great. He controls the tempo and has great court vision. He’s a great facilitator who knows how to run the team.”

Assistant coach Jon Aldridge first spotted Campion. The USI staff was in Atlanta scouting another player. But there was a player who kept catching their eye. One who constantly went after loose balls and made plays. Gouard described him as “scrappy.”

More USI hoops news:USI's early basketball schedule was meant to be a challenge. So far, it's passed the test.

They continued to track Campion throughout his senior year. He finished his career at Milton averaging 19.7 points, 6.9 assists and 4.7 rebounds as a two-time All-State selection. But an offer didn’t come right away – even after both an unofficial and official visit. Once it did on May 14, Campion wasted no time as he announced his commitment the next day.

“They were early in my recruitment, probably my junior year. I was able to grow a great bond with them,” Campion said. “As soon as I had my opportunity, I felt like USI was a great place for me to come.”

There’s one aspect of Campion’s game that is easy to notice for anyone watching: hustle. He provides constant energy every time he steps on the court. It’s how he’s always played.

He doesn't take this opportunity to play D-I basketball for granted.

“I knew I had to come in and earn it. I wanted to come in and make the biggest impact I could,” Campion said. “I’ve always been an intense dude when it comes to competing. I’m gonna do everything for these guys. I want to bring the energy.”

Gouard added: “He values every minute. He’s grateful for it. I contemplated redshirting him at one point – that was stupid. He’s going to play a lot for us.”

Southern Indiana’s Jack Campion (24) drives the ball past Southern Illinois’ Lance Jones (5) as the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles play Southern Illinois Salukis at Screaming Eagles Arena in Evansville, Ind.,  Sunday afternoon, Nov. 13, 2022.
Southern Indiana’s Jack Campion (24) drives the ball past Southern Illinois’ Lance Jones (5) as the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles play Southern Illinois Salukis at Screaming Eagles Arena in Evansville, Ind., Sunday afternoon, Nov. 13, 2022.

USI earned a bounce-back, 32-point victory on Friday. Senior guard Jelani Simmons was the leading scorer with 21 points while junior guard Tyler Henry made a career-high six 3-pointers and finished with 19 points. Jacob Polakovich also added eight points and six rebounds in seven minutes while Kiyron Powell had a career-high six blocks.

The Screaming Eagles will begin a four-game road trip on Tuesday when they travel to St. Bonaventure for the second game of the Gotham Classic. This group continues to make noise in its first season of Division I play as they have climbed into the top 200 of the KenPom rankings.

Campion believes this group can continue to make noise.

“We build a great bond off the court and that leads to what you see on the court,” Campion said. “All 15 guys will do whatever we can to win. We’ll do whatever for each other.”

Contact Courier & Press sports reporter Hendrix Magley via email at hendrix.magley@courierpress.com or via Twitter @TweetsOfHendrix.

This article originally appeared on Evansville Courier & Press: USI basketball freshman Jack Campion is making an immediate impact