No one injured in Grand Forks apartment cooking fire

Jan. 24—GRAND FORKS — There were no injuries in a small cooking fire that occurred around 10:35 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 24.

The Grand Forks Fire Department was dispatched to 1712 Continental Drive in Grand Forks for a fire alarm going off with observable smoke outside the residence, according to a press release.

By the time firefighters arrived at the two-story apartment building, the tenant had put out the fire and brought the cooking materials outside.

"He already had everything out. We just came in just to check and make sure there was nothing on fire," Erik Quirk, from the fire department, told the Herald.

Firefighters used a large fan outside the building to clear out lingering smoke. The apartment unit where the fire took place sustained smoke damage.

According to the press release, the fire department responded with five engines, one truck and one command vehicle. There were 17 personnel on scene. The department was assisted by the Grand Forks Police Department and the Altru Ambulance.

The press release reminds residents to keep combustibles away from cooking areas and check that their smoke detectors are working properly.