Here are the share-worthy stories from Washington, D.C., and northern Virginia Patches to talk about tonight:
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam said Tuesday he will propose legislation to make Juneteenth, a celebration observed June 19 commemorating the end of slavery in the United States, recognized as a paid state holiday.
Virginia will not enter phase 3 of its coronavirus reopening plan on Friday, Gov. Ralph Northam said Tuesday at a news conference in Richmond. The governor noted, however, that the rate of positive coronavirus cases and the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 continue to decline in the state.
Fairfax County Police Department revealed plans for how it could meet the Board of Supervisors's request to implement the next phase of the FCPD body-worn camera program in Fiscal Year 2021.
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said he was bringing the D.C. statehood bill to the floor of the House of Representatives next week for a vote. The legislation already has enough cosponsors for it to pass on June 26, which would make it the first D.C. statehood bill approved by a house of Congress.
D.C. Department of Health reported five new deaths Tuesday due to COVID-19, the illness associated with the coronavirus. These deaths follow two days where D.C. Health reported no new deaths in the District due to the disease. The total number of deaths in the District to COVID-19stands at 515.
Fairfax County Public Schools is looking at three options for reopening schools after the pandemic prompted closures in March. These options include a virtual start to the 2020-2021 school year, reopening buildings with health and social distancing measures, and online learning based on need.
Also Worth a Look Today
- GEICO Adding More Than 100 Workers To Fredericksburg Area Office
- Alexandria Pools To Open For 2020 Season With Limits
- Wanted: Intent To Kill Charge Filed Against Northeast Man
- Drive-In Movies Planned At Tysons Development
- Teen Entrepreneur Expands Lawn Care Business To Arlington
- DC Man Charged With Burglary At Ballston Hotel: Police
- FXA Adult Sports Opens Registration For Summer Leagues
- Council Adopts 2021 Vienna Budget Lower Than Last Year's
- Water Taxi Returns To Alexandria, DC With Safety Measures
- Abdelhamid (Hamed) Ahmad Sarsour, 71, Of Annandale
- E. Coli Recall: Beef Sold At Walmart Pulled From VA Stores
- Hoboken Mayor: Protesters Haven't Tested Positive For Coronavirus
- Reconsider To-Go Booze Rules Amid Partying NYC Crowds, Pol Says
- NYC Prepares For Mass Evictions As Moratorium's End Nears
- Plea Deal For Accused Golden State Killer DeAngelo: Reports
- Army Veteran Saves Family Rescue Dog From Alligator Attack