Sales were down 40% at Nordstrom after temporarily closing its stores due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Seattle-based retailer announced Thursday.
“We’re entering the second quarter in a position of strength, adding to our confidence that we have sufficient liquidity to successfully execute our strategy in 2020 and over the longer term," Nordstrom CEO Erik Nordstrom said in a news release.
Still, Nordstrom is not immune from permanent store closings.
Officials previously announced they would permanently close 16 of the company's 116 full-line stores because of the impact of COVID-19. In its presentation Thursday, it listed the locations, which include three closing Jeffrey specialty boutiques.
J.C. Penney store closing sales 2020: Liquidation to begin within weeks at 242 stores planned to close in bankruptcy
Tuesday Morning store closings list: Off-price retailer permanently closing 132 stores in first wave of bankruptcy closures. Is your store on the list?
Neil Saunders, managing director of the retail consultancy Global Data, said the closings were a "fairly dramatic decision" since they represent 14% of total stores. Saunders applauded the move and said it was overdue.
"For too long, Nordstrom has had stores in locations that are suboptimal, and which were not delivering good returns," Saunders said. "Getting rid of these will help stem losses and allow Nordstrom to focus investments in areas where it gets more bang for its buck."
Nordstrom closed its stores in mid-March and has started reopening locations across the nation. As of Thursday, 34 full line Nordstrom stores have reopened, along with 94 Nordstrom Rack locations, according to a reopening list posted on the retailer's website.
Arizona Nordstrom store closure
- Chandler: Chandler Fashion Center, 3199 W. Chandler Blvd.
California Nordstrom store closings
- Escondido: Westfield North County, 270 E Via Rancho Parkway
- Montclair: Montclair Place, 5015 N. Montclair Plaza Lane
- Pleasanton: Stoneridge Shopping Center, 1600 Stoneridge Mall Road
- Riverside: 3601 The Galleria at Tyler
- Sacramento: Arden Fair Mall, 1651 Arden Way
- Santa Barbara: Paseo Nuevo, 17 W Canon Perdido St.
Colorado Nordstrom store closing
- Broomfield: FlatIron Crossing, 21 W. Flatiron Crossing Drive
Florida Nordstrom closing locations
- Miami: Dadeland Mall, 7239 N. Kendall Drive
- Naples: Waterside Shops, 5489 Tamiami Trail N.
Maryland Nordstrom closing store
- Annapolis: 1800 Annapolis Mall
New Jersey Nordstrom closure
- Freehold: Freehold Raceway Mall, 3710 U.S. Highway 9
Oregon Nordstrom closing store
- Happy Valley: Clackamas Town Center, SE 85th Ave.
Texas closing Nordstrom store
- Hurst: North East Mall, 1101 Melbourne Road
Virginia Nordstrom closing store
- Richmond: Short Pump Town Center, 11812 W. Broad St.
Puerto Rico Nordstrom closure
- San Juan: 4000 The Mall of San Juan Blvd.
Jeffrey boutiques closings
- Palo Alto, California: 650 A Stanford Shopping Center
- Atlanta, Georgia: 3500 Peachtree Road N.E.
- New York, New York: 449 West 14th St.
Shopping reinvented: America's stores, malls reopen with masks, curbside pickup and closed fitting rooms
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Nordstrom store closings 2020 list: These stores will shutter for good