North and South Korea have restored their previously severed hotline, as the two countries' leaders agreed to rebuild ties and regain trust, Seoul's presidential Blue House said on Tuesday.
North Korean state media outlet KCNA also said that all inter-Korean communication channels resumed Tuesday morning, in line with the leaders' agreement.
The Blue House said that South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un made the agreement after having exchanged multiple letters since April.
North Korea first severed the hotline last June as inter-Korean relations soured after a failed 2019 summit between Kim and former U.S. President Donald Trump which Moon had offered to mediate.
Moon has called for talks with the North and for the hotline to be restored, pinning high hopes on U.S. President Joe Biden to restart nuclear talks with Pyongyang.
Tuesday's announcement came as the two Koreas marked the 68th anniversary of the armistice that ended the 1950-1953 Korean War.