Norway bow and arrow attack - latest: Suspect’s mental health evaluated as first court hearing held

Norway bow and arrow attack - latest: Suspect’s mental health evaluated as first court hearing held
·3 min read

The suspect in a bow-and-arrow attack in Norway which left five people dead is being cared for by health professionals, the police have confirmed.

Espen Andersen Braathen, 37, has confessed to killing five people during his rampage. He is thought to have been radicalised after converting to Islam, according to Norwegian police.

“Braathen was on Thursday transferred into the care of health services after an assessment of his health situation,” the force said on Friday.

Four women and one man aged between 50 and 70 died during incident in the town of Kongsberg on Wednesday. Three other people, including a police officer, were injured by the assailant.

On Friday, a Norwegian court will determine how long he can be initially held in detention. Andersen Braathen will not appear in person.

Earlier this week, Norway’s security service said the incident "appears to be an act of terror”, but did not give any further details.

The attack’s death toll is the worst in the country since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik murdered 77 people at a youth camp.

Read More

Norway: Danish man charged after five killed and two injured in bow and arrow attack

Norway bow and arrow attack: What we know about the bow and arrow killings

Police name suspect in Norway bow and arrow attack and say incident ‘appears to be act of terror’

Key Points

  • Espen Andersen Braathen faces custody hearing on Friday

  • Suspect named in terror attack

Suspect to be held initially for four weeks, court rules

11:41 , Rory Sullivan

The man who allegedly carried out the bow-and-arrow attack in Norway can be initially held for four weeks while investigations continue, a court has decided.

Espen Andersen Braathen, a 37-year-old Danish citizen, has already admitted to carrying out the atrocity.

He is currently being looked cared for by the health services.

Students locked themselves in bedroom during attack

11:16 , Rory Sullivan

A student has described how the bow-and-arrow attacker tried and failed to enter his accommodation on Wednesday.

The assailant got into a number of houses and a supermarket on his killing spree in Kongsberg, Norway.

Student Mohammed Shaban told Reuters that he and his friends found the man trying to enter the open window.

“My friend said: ‘What’s happening, what’s happening? Who is he?,’” the 25-year-old told the news agency.

“We ran into the bedroom to save ourselves and I held on to the door-handle...From the window I saw the man, wearing grey jeans and a white singlet. I saw him from behind.”

The man then ran away.

Health professionals caring for suspect, police confirm

10:44 , Rory Sullivan

The 37-year-old man suspected of carrying out this week’s deadly bow-and-arrow attack in Norway is now in the care of health professionals, the police have confirmed.

“Braathen was on Thursday transferred into the care of health services after an assessment of his health situation,” the force said in a statement.

Pictures: Tributes paid to victims

10:18 , Rory Sullivan

Five women and men aged between 50 and 70 died in Wednesday’s bow-and-arrow attack.

To pay their respects, residents laid flowers and lit candles in Kongsberg, the Norwegian town where the atrocity took place.

People come to pay their respects to the five people who died in Wednesday’s attack. (EPA)
People come to pay their respects to the five people who died in Wednesday’s attack. (EPA)
Flowers and candles are laid outside a shop involved in the attack. (AP)
Flowers and candles are laid outside a shop involved in the attack. (AP)

Espen Andersen Braathen faces custody hearing on Friday

09:56 , Rory Sullivan

A Norwegian court will hold a custody hearing on Friday over this week’s killings in Kongsberg, a town 43 miles from Oslo.

It will decide how long the suspect, Espen Andersen Braathen, can initially be held.

His lawyer Fredrik Neumann said yesterday that Andersen Braathen will not oppose the request to keep him in custody.

He is set to undergo a full psychiatric evaluation to determine whether he was sane at the time of the attack.

Suspect named in terror attack

09:35 , Rory Sullivan

The suspect in the deadly bow-and-arrow attack in Norway on Wednesday was named yesterday as 37-year-old Muslim convert Espen Andersen Braathen.

“There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalised,” police chief Ole B Saeverud told a press conference on Thursday.

Here’s what we know about Andersen Braathen:

Police name suspect in Norway bow and arrow attack

09:32 , Rory Sullivan

Good morning, and welcome to our coverage on the deadly bow-and-arrow attack in Norway earlier this week.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting