Number of Charlie Hebdo subscribers up 20-fold after attacks

Customers queue early in the morning to buy a copy of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, in London on January 16, 2015 (AFP Photo/Leon Neal)

Paris (AFP) - The number of subscribers to Charlie Hebdo, which was hit by a deadly jihadist attack last month, has risen from 10,000 before the assault to more than 200,000, the magazine's co-manager said Tuesday.

Eric Portheault also told AFP that the satirical weekly had received 2.37 million euros ($2.7 million) in donations, which will be given to the families of the victims of the attacks.

Armed Islamist attacks against Charlie Hebdo, a policewoman and a Jewish kosher grocery in Paris from January 7-9 left a total of 17 people dead.

The magazine had been struggling financially before the attacks, which saw the Kouachi brothers burst into its offices on January 7 and shoot dead 11 people, including celebrated cartoonists.

The assault shocked France, and the slogan "Je suis Charlie", in solidarity with the victims, became a global rallying cry against extremism.