New York City bars are in for a beating after racking up violations of open-container rules and COVID safety measures, Gov. Cuomo said Sunday.
A task force of State Liquor Authority and State Police officers slapped establishments in every borough but Staten Island, along with Nassau and Suffolk counties, with 105 violations on Friday and Saturday, the governor said at a press conference.
The SLA is going to weigh punishments including liquor license suspensions on Monday, he added.
“They are people outside of bars gathering and drinking, which is illegal. The takeout alcohol [rule] was, you take out the alcohol, you go home, you drink it,” Cuomo said.
“It was not, ‘you take out alcohol and then you stand in front of the bar and drink it,‘” he continued. “That violates the open-container law. It also violates the bars’ rules in terms of selling to-go alcohol.”
The task force also hit bars with violations for having staff including servers not wearing masks.
Over about the last two weeks, state statistics show a growing number of infections among New Yorkers in their 20s. Cuomo previously attributed the rise to throngs of twenty-somethings partying and flaunting the rules outside bars and restaurants.
Last week, the SLA issued guidance on a recent order from Cuomo requiring patrons to be seated and eating a meal in order to be served alcohol. The order also bans standing bar service.
Bars and restaurants face closure if they rack up three violations.
©2020 New York Daily News
Visit New York Daily News at www.nydailynews.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.