Officials: Oily rags probably started fire that destroyed home of Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s son

Oily rags are the likely cause of the raging fire that destroyed a Medford home owned by the son of Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren Tuesday morning.

The home was in the midst of renovations and oily rags in the building likely caught fire, accidentally igniting the home, according to Medford town officials.

Crews responding to a report of a fire at 44 Terrace Road around 1 a.m. Tuesday found flames shooting from a vacant home that has been undergoing major renovations for about a year, according to the Medford Fire Department.

Property records show the home was purchased by Alexander Warren for $1.35 million in April 2021.

In a statement, Sen. Warren said, “I deeply appreciate the efforts of the firefighters who worked through the night to put out a fire at our son’s house. I am grateful that everyone is safe and request privacy for our family.”

Video from the scene showed crews working to extinguish the fire for more than five hours. Thick black smoke could be seen for miles.

The flames were out by sunrise, but Medford Fire Chief John Freedman said his department had water pressure issues and difficulty getting engines up the hill.

“Up here on the hill, every foot of elevation you draw pressure losses,” Freedman explained. “They’re flowing a lot of water and that puts strain on the systems.”

A Boston 25 photographer spotted Warren leaving the scene in an SUV just before 9 a.m.

Neighbors told Boston 25 the family was planning to move in before Easter.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW