Jul. 10—MITCHELL — The Mitchell Board of Education will seat two board members when it convenes for its next regular meeting Monday, July 11.
The swearing-in process of current board member and board president Deb Olson and new board member Terry Aslesen will take place, along with several other agenda items that will encompass the board reorganizing for the 2022-23 school year.
Olson and Aslesen both
won three-year terms on the board during the June school election,
where they emerged out of a field of six candidates to claim the seats. Olson will return to her current position on the board, and Aslesen will step into the position being vacated by Kevin Kenkel, who chose not to seek reelection to another term.
The two will join Shawn Ruml, Brittni Flood and Matt Christiansen on the five-member local government board.
The board will also elect a new board president and vice president at the meeting. Olson currently serves as president and Kenkel serves as vice president. Steve Culhane, business manager for the district, is also expected to be sworn in as clerk for the board.
Among other yearly business the board will conduct will be designating an official publisher, legal counsel and repositories for the district, as well as approving membership in the Associated School Boards of South Dakota.
The board of education is expected to consider the following personnel moves:
* The new classified hires of Maghan Puetz, administrative assistant/attendance secretary at Mitchell Middle School, $15 per hour at 8 hours daily, effective Aug. 3; Grisly Escriba Valsaquez, head cook at L.B. Williams Elementary School food service, $15 per hour at 5.5 hours daily, effective Aug. 8; Larry Gromer, maintenance, $17 per hour at 8 hours daily, effective July 12 and Hailey Robbins, paraeducator at L.B. Williams Elementary School, $14.25 per hour at 7 hours daily, effective Aug. 15.
* The resignation of Rick Hornaman, maintenance worker, effective July 15.
* The new Mitchell Technical College hires of Ashley Alarcon, radiologic technology instructor, $57,600; Noah Brinkman, wind turbine technology instructor, $61,900; James Bultje, information systems technology instructor, $54,000; Heather Koth, accounting/business management instructor, $54,918 and Amber Krcil, radiologic technology instructor, $57,600. All hires are effective Aug. 1.
Also at the meeting, the board is expected to:
* Consider approval of Earned Interest Allocation Resolution.
* Hear board member reports and comments.
* Heare the superintendent report.
* Hear public commentary.
The meeting of the Mitchell Board of Education is open to the public. The Mitchell Republic will livestream the meeting beginning at 5 p.m.