One killed, several injured in Texas shooting

The shooting occurred at Kent Moore Cabinets in Bryan, Texas, Police Chief Eric Buske told reporters, and the suspect was believed to be an employee of the business.

A suspect was later taken into custody. Texas Governor Greg Abbott said in a statement that "the state will assist in any way needed to help prosecute the suspect." Abbott said a law enforcement officer was "injured while apprehending the suspect."

The shooting left one person dead at the scene and four others struck by gunfire, Buske said. A fifth person was taken to the hospital suffering from an apparent asthma attack.

The violence follows a string of more than a half-dozen deadly mass shootings across the United States since mid-March, including rampages that killed eight people at Atlanta-area spas, 10 people at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado, and four people, including a 9-year-old boy in Orange, California.

Bryan, a town of about 87,000 residents and the seat of Brazos County, is a short drive from Texas A&M University in nearby College Station about 100 miles northwest of Houston.

On Wednesday, a former professional football player shot and killed a prominent South Carolina doctor, his wife, two grandchildren and another man before taking his own life at his home a short distance away, authorities said on Thursday.

Hours before the shooting in Texas, U.S. President Joe Biden and U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland announced limited measures to tackle a surge in U.S. gun violence in recent years.

Video Transcript

ERIC BUSKE: At about 2:30 this afternoon, Bryan Police received a call to Kent Moore Cabinets of an active shooter. Officers responded to the scene, and arrived in a fairly short period of time. However, the shooter had gone by the time officers got here. They did, however, discover some people hurt that had been shot. Initially, four people were transported to the Saint Jo Hospital in critical condition with gunshot injuries. One other person was transported with no injuries, apparently with an asthma attack, and one person was deceased at the scene.

We believe there may be a suspect in custody, but we're still working on that. We really don't know the motive, we're still investigating that. I believe that the suspect was an employee of Kent Moore. Right now, we're working the crime scene, we're interviewing witnesses, we're trying to keep people hydrated-- witnesses and police officers hydrated-- because it's obviously pretty warm out as you guys very well know. It just takes a long time to put, on a spread-out scene-- which this is a fairly spread-out scene-- it takes a lot of work and a lot of time to put it all together.