Opposition fierce as businesses, nonprofits petition to save Hardy Lot

The Hardy Lot lies at the corner of North Market Street and East Beverley Street, and serves as a convenient parking location for the owners, employees, and customers of businesses on Beverley Street
The Hardy Lot lies at the corner of North Market Street and East Beverley Street, and serves as a convenient parking location for the owners, employees, and customers of businesses on Beverley Street

STAUNTON – The News Leader has received letters and petitions sent to Staunton City Council members from community organizations, nonprofits and businesses in an effort to keep the Hardy Lot on the corner of Market and New streets in downtown Staunton.

Letters received are copied and pasted directly from each source without edits.

Letter to City Council members from nonprofit organizations

Stop building the courthouse on Hardy Lot: Non-profit Petition Opposing the JDR Courthouse Construction on the Hardy Lot

The following non-profit and cultural organizations in downtown Staunton urge the City of Staunton to withdraw the Request for Proposals (RFP) to construct a Juvenile and Domestic Relations (JDR) courthouse on the Hardy Lot in downtown Staunton.

We, the undersigned, believe:

  • Our historic downtown drives tourism dollars.

  • Our city’s commitment to renovating and preserving our high-quality historical architecture is the envy of other cities nationwide.

  • A new JDR courthouse on the Hardy Lot puts our historical skyline and pedestrian accessibility at risk.

  • A massive construction project will needlessly disrupt commerce and vitality after several years of economic damage due to the pandemic.

  • The loss of the only open-air parking lot on our main street puts business and cultural institutions on the east end of Beverley Street at risk.

  • Constructing a new building rather than re-using an existing one strains taxpayer dollars and defies current environmental best practices.

  • The absence of community engagement in the City’s decision destroys trust between the citizens, stakeholders, and city officials.

  • This new courthouse contravenes 25 years of successful Main Street revitalization, for which Staunton has been a successful case study and model for other communities.

  • This decision goes directly against the four pillars of Main Street USA’s Roadmap to revitalization.

The City of Staunton’s decision to proceed with an RFP to build the JDR Courthouse on the Hardy Lot will cause harm to thousands of local people and annual visitors in these ways:

Temple House of Israel: The physical integrity of their recently renovated 1920s building and the safety, security, and accessibility to the facility - and the viability of the congregation - are at risk.

Anglican Church of the Valley: Congregants meet in Temple House of Israel on Sundays and weekdays.  If they lose their access and parking, ACOTV may consider moving elsewhere.

Arcadia Project: Several hundred thousand dollars of state money was allocated and spent on renovations with the understanding that the Hardy Parking Lot would serve future customers. A $1.5M grant from the VA Industrial Revitalization Fund is at risk without adequate parking.

American Shakespeare Center: The ASC is a leading driver of tourism in our area. It depends on the lot, particularly for its elderly and physically challenged patrons who are uncomfortable or unable to utilize the New Street Garage.

Heifetz Institute: Heifetz hosts many concerts in and around downtown and on the Mary Baldwin University campus. Their patrons use the 60 spaces in the Hardy lot.

Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library: The Hardy Lot serves as an exit from their parking lot and for overflow when their lot fills up. Their current capital campaign and welcome center renovations assume access from the Hardy Lot.

Letter to City Council members from Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library's president and CEO

In 1991, the garage behind the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library & Museum became Staunton's first Welcome Center.
In 1991, the garage behind the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library & Museum became Staunton's first Welcome Center.

As President and CEO of the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library (WWPL), I am writing to express my strong opposition to proceeding with an RFP to build a new Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court building on the current Hardy parking lot. This parking lot is an integral part of the community, serving the WWPL and other cultural institutions such as the Temple House of Israel, American Shakespeare Center, Arcadia Project, Heifetz Institute, Restoration Anglican Staunton Church, as well as local businesses and residents. The Hardy Parking Lot provides much-needed parking for our historic city, and taking it away would significantly impact the entire community.

The loss of this parking lot, which is adjacent to our property, will have a direct negative effect on our operation. The Hardy lot serves as the exit from our parking lot because it is unsafe for cars to exit our lot back onto Frederick Street. Additionally, it provides overflow parking for our visitors when our small parking lot is full (thus providing additional revenue for the city). We are in the early stages of a significant museum expansion that will double our exhibit space's size. This project will cost our organization approximately $3.6 million. However, the return on the investment to both our organization and our city will be great as we expect to see thousands more visitors each year.

As our visitation numbers continue to grow, the Hardy Lot will be needed to provide space for our visitors. Furthermore, we have received state funding to rehabilitate one of our buildings adjacent to our parking lot to serve as a new visitors' center. We decided on this building, in part because it would be an easier walk for visitors coming from the Hardy Parking Lot.

The loss of the Hardy Parking Lot will affect visitation to the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and tourism to the City of Staunton. As a member of the City of Staunton Tourism Advisory Board, I review the monthly reports provided by the City Tourism office; it is evident that tourism has a substantial positive economic impact on our city.

While I understand the need to move the juvenile and domestic court due to the Augusta County court system moving to Verona, it should not come at the expense of our community's economic and cultural vibrancy. I am concerned that those directly impacted were not contacted about this process. I am disappointed that no one bothered to ask those of us who will be directly affected by this decision for our thoughts and opinions before making such a momentous decision.

We must explore other options for the location of the court building. I encourage you to vote against this proposal and to work with fellow council members and interested citizens to find a better solution that benefits both the court system and the cultural institutions, businesses, and residents that are so vital to our community. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely, Robin von Seldeneck, President and CEO

Letter and petition from downtown Staunton businesses to City Council members

Terah Cox, owner of Words Matter, created a petition for businesses to sign in opposition to Staunton City Council's decision to build a new Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court facility at the Hardy parking lot on the corner Market and Beverley streets.

From: Downtown Staunton Retailers, Restaurants and Professional Businesses

Date: April 12, 2023

To: Mayor Claffey; Vice-Mayor Darby; City Manager Leslie Beauregard; Assistant City Manager Amanda Kaufman; Councillors Edwards, Woods, Arrowood, Robertson and Holmes; Public Works Director Jeff Johnston; Clerk of Council Kiley Kesecker; and any other pertinent parties

Re: (1) Opposition to Hardy Parking Lot Construction

(2) Details of Impact on Downtown Business Owners

(3) Request for More In-Depth Research and Consideration of Alternative Sites for a new J&DR Courthouse.

To All Concerned:

This letter is a follow-up to our email of March 31, 2023 and includes a Petition of Opposition signed by 60 downtown Staunton business owners regarding the [proposed or planned?] construction of a new J&DR courthouse in the Hardy parking lot. Hard copies will be provided at the Town Hall Meeting scheduled for Thurs., April 13, 2023.

As of Wednesday, April 12, 2023, there are conflicting perspectives as to whether the status of the Hardy parking lot issue is a proposed new construction or a “done deal” decision. While this confusion has likely been caused by the lack of transparency surrounding the “closed session” process from the beginning, as well as changes ofpersonnel in the City Council, we—downtown Staunton retailers, restaurants and other businesses—want to voice our opposition to the appropriation of the Hardy parking lot for the construction of a new J&DR courthouse on that site.

There are many downtown businesses, cultural, religious, lodging and entertainment venues, as well as local residents surrounding the Hardy lot, that would all be adversely impacted by this initiative. We understand the council will be receiving multiple letters and petitions detailing the important concerns of each, which ultimately will affect all of us.

In the meantime, the particular concerns of downtown business owners are these:

  1. Loss of the Hardy parking lot will burden the already limited parking and narrow streets at that end of town, which is adjacent or proximate to: the American Shakespeare Theater, the Woodrow Wilson Museum, the Heifitz International Music Institute, Mary Baldwin University, Temple Israel and the Hotel 24 hotel and conference center, as well as the Arcadia Project entertainment and event venue which is a current renovation of the historical Dixie Theater. All of these bring staff, visitors and patrons to this area of downtown both day and evening, and the Hardy lot makes the area very accessible to these venues, as well as the unique shops and restaurants that continually draw local people and tourists to our downtown. Importantly, the Hardy lot isespecially helpful to older residents and those with mobility issues who are unable to traverse long distances or park in uphill/downhill lots or enclosed multi-level garages. (And btw, though total $$ unknown, the Hardy lot generates some continual income for the city via parking meters and business permit parking.)

2. Construction, structural integrity and access issues. We are all concerned about the sink-hole issues that occur throughout Staunton intermittently because of the instability of ground structures. The ongoing drilling, noise, and vibrations for an extended period of time, and finally the completed building—will not only likely endanger surrounding structures, but prolonged construction issues may also discourage, even impede, access to everything in that area of E. Beverley, N. Market and nearby streets.

3. Corruption of the historical environs. A new courthouse on that site will surely disrupt the charming historical appearance and ambiance for which downtown Staunton is known and celebrated as a rich destination for our local community, as well as visitors from around the country and the world.

4. Compromise to livelihood and tax dollars. Because Staunton is a vibrant historical destination, the downtown businesses support the livelihood of hundreds of business owners and their families, while also adding tax dollars to the city via sales and meals taxes, hotel taxes, business and personal property licenses/taxes, permit parking,personal income taxes, and so forth.

5. A derailing of post-pandemic efforts to bring greater vibrancy and thriving to downtown Staunton. The multiple businesses that have been established in downtown Staunton over the last 2-3 years have been working very hard to increase interaction with the local community and visitors who come to enjoy the many events and offerings of downtown Staunton. To that end, we are building a community spirit of mutual support among all downtown retailers and restaurants by referring our customers to each other, planning special events together, sharing each other’s events with our own customers, etc., so that local residents and visitors will enjoy their time here and return to downtown Staunton again and again, helping us all to thrive. Another government building/courthouse on a much-needed parking lot in a beautiful historical area undermines our goals in every way.

We need the Hardy parking lot to remain intact for all the above reasons. Below is a list of the 60 downtown businesses we were able to reach for signatures to our petition. A copy of the petition itself is also attached, along with a hard copy of this letter. We appreciate your thoughtful consideration of the issues surrounding this initiative, and will especially appreciate being kept apprised of all related matters going forward. We also encourage you to engage our community of creative and knowledgeable real estate, architectural, engineering and business people for help in finding/creating an alternative site suitable for the new J&DR courthouse, as well as for acquiring any assistance from the state for an extension of time to do so.

Thank you, on behalf of Downtown Staunton Business Owners listed in Schedule A below.

  • Terah Cox / Words Matter Gift Shop (110 E. Beverley St.)

  • Angela Higgs / Accordia Staunton (114 E. Beverley St.)

  • June Collmer / Heifitz Music Shop (107 E. Beverley St.)

  • Susan Weeks / Bonfire Begonia (106 E. Beverley St.)

SCHEDULE A

Businesses that participated in the attached Petition, listed in alphabetical order.

  • ACCORDIA STAUNTON

  • BAJA BEAN

  • BEVERLEY CIGAR STORE

  • BILLY OPAL

  • BLAIR MADE

  • BLUE POINT SEAFOOD

  • BONITAS SALON

  • BONFIRE BEGONIA

  • BRIGHTBUG MARKETING

  • BURROW & VINE

  • BY & BY CAFE

  • CAMERA HERITAGE MUSEUM

  • CFO TRADING

  • CIDERS FROM MARS

  • CLOCKTOWER EATS & SWEETS

  • CO-ART GALLERY

  • CRANBERRY’s GROCERY & EATERY

  • CROWN JEWELERS

  • DESIGN BY NINE

  • DRAGON’S HOARD

  • FOUNDRY POP-UPS

  • FREDERICK HOUSE

  • FRONTLINE HOBBIES

  • HARMONY MOON GIFTS

  • HEIFITZ GIFT SHOP

  • HEIRLOOM HOME FINE LINENS

  • H. L. LANG & CO. JEWELERS

  • JAN K. LANDIS

  • JUNIPER LANE

  • LATITUDES

  • LITTLE SHOP OF CRYSTALS

  • LOCAL COLLECTIVE

  • LYLE PROPERTIES

  • MARION'S CANDLES & GIFTS

  • MICHAEL TUSING GALLERY

  • MIDDLE RIVER OUTFITTERS

  • PAMPERED PALATE

  • QUEEN CITY GAMES & GIFTS

  • REMEDY BURGER

  • REUNION BAKERY

  • SHENANDOAH PIZZA

  • SLYDE@23

  • SPARROW'S NEST

  • SPLIT BANANA

  • STAUNTON ANTIQUES & GALLERY

  • STAUNTON AUGUSTA ART CENTER

  • STAUNTON MATTRESS

  • STAUNTON OLIVE OIL COMPANY

  • STOREFRONT HOTEL

  • SWEET ADDIE’s

  • WORDS MATTER

  • YELPING DOG WINE

  • ZYNODOA RESTAURANT

Witz Building Professional Offices, 11 E. Beverley:

  • SHERRY RAMSEY, Esq.

  • MADISON MONROE & ASSOC.

  • LINDSAY CURREN

  • CINDY W. FRIDLEY

  • LISA FARWELL

Signed petition from downtown businesses:

This article originally appeared on Staunton News Leader: Hardy Lot: Opposition fierce from Staunton businesses, nonprofits