Panama City Passion Play set to return after five-year hiatus. Here's when and where

PANAMA CITY — The music ministry of St. Andrew Baptist Church announced the Panama City Passion Play will return to the stage after a five-year hiatus.

First held in 2003 at the Marina Civic Center, the production went on for 15 years before its venue was destroyed because of Hurricane Michael's impact in 2018. The play was presented as a free, unticketed event and welcomed more than 70,000 attendees in the time span.

The Passion Play is a musical drama told realistically, portraying segments from the life and ministry of Jesus, the betrayal, crucifixion and resurrection as told in the Bible. The production is set to return the weekend of March 31-April 2, with showtimes at 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 3 and 6 p.m. Sunday at the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center, 501 Mosley Drive in Lynn Haven.

Latest on civic center:Panama City to pay for needed ground-penetrating radar survey of Marina Civic Center

In other news:Popular smoothie chain plants its roots in Panama City. Take a peek inside

The play is produced and directed by the Rev. Doug White of St. Andrew Baptist Church.

Panama City Passion Play is returning after five years March 31-April 2 at the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center in Lynn Haven.
Panama City Passion Play is returning after five years March 31-April 2 at the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center in Lynn Haven.

Cast member and media coordinator Steve Applegate said although the group has produced smaller shows in the past, he's excited they are able to put on a full production again.

“We’re just really thrilled we’re able to put a full production back together again,” Applegate said. “We’re excited to have everybody back on board to bring this local tradition back to Panama City for new and returning audiences.”

While the event will remain free and open to the public, the organization is dependent on donations from community partners and individuals to be able to fund the production.

Panama City Passion Play is returning after five years March 31-April 2 at the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center in Lynn Haven.
Panama City Passion Play is returning after five years March 31-April 2 at the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center in Lynn Haven.

The play was originally designed for a traditional Broadway-style theater, with elaborate backdrops, front curtains, theater lighting, sets and scenery that can be ''flown in" from above the proscenium, multiple entrances and exits.

With a change in venue, organizers hope new technology will allow them to project realistic backgrounds on a massive digital LED screen behind the action.

“We’re hoping this new LED screen will open up new possibilities for us,” Applegate said.

Although it’s unclear whether the event will return to the civic center, Applegate said the new venue is a great start to initiate the play’s reboot and hopes they are able to transition to a larger venue in the future.

About 200 cast members will partake in this year’s production to showcase a presentation depicting the life of Christ. Applegate said plans are to continue the production as an annual event and hopes it will grow into what it used to be before.

Panama City Passion Play is returning after five years March 31-April 2 at the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center in Lynn Haven.
Panama City Passion Play is returning after five years March 31-April 2 at the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center in Lynn Haven.

“We’re very blessed to have the Gretchen Nelson Scott Fine Arts Center assist with our return and hope it will be available if we need it in the future,” Applegate said. “Of course, our ultimate dream is that Panama City will eventually get another place like the civic center because we would be blessed to host our event in a facility as large as that one.”

For more information about the Passion Play or donation and sponsorship opportunities, visit PanamaCityPassionPlay.com.

This article originally appeared on The News Herald: St. Andrew Baptist Church announces Panama City's Passion Play return