Vice President Mike Pence and second lady Karen Pence have tested negative for the coronavirus, the vice president’s office announced Saturday.
The Pences were tested for coronavirus on Saturday afternoon, a day after one of the vice president's staffers tested positive for the infection.
Earlier, Pence said there was "no reason to believe" he or his wife were exposed to the virus. But he said he will get tested because of his sensitive role in the Trump administration.
Pence made the comments at a Saturday afternoon press briefing on the coronavirus pandemic alongside President Donald Trump.
"We've done all contact tracing and while the White House doctor has indicated that he has no reason to believe that I was exposed and no need to be tested, given the unique position that I have as vice president and as the leader of the White House coronavirus task force, both I and my wife will be tested for the coronavirus later this afternoon," Pence said.
The White House learned on Friday that a member of Pence's staff had tested positive for the coronavirus. Pence said the staffer "had mild cold-like symptoms" for about a day and a half but is "doing well."
"He has not been to the White House since Monday," Pence added. "Neither the president nor I had direct contact with that staff person."
Trump took a test for the coronavirus last week, which the White House said was negative.
During his remarks on Saturday, Pence said 195,000 Americans have been tested for the coronavirus, a total that does not include tests done at county hospitals or health care labs. Of those tests, 19,343 came back positive, Pence said. Both numbers are expected to jump in the coming days as testing becomes more available. Almost 300 people in the U.S. have died form the disease thus far, according to researchers.
In an effort to slow the number of new coronavirus cases, the Trump administration has urged people to avoid groups larger than 10 people. Many theaters, restaurants, theme parks have shuttered and millions of people have shifted to remote work if possible. Churches and other places of worship have also taken their services online. Pence urged church-goers to continue donating to religious institutions, regardless of whether they can attend in person.
"One thing the president and I promised was to remind people that on the weekends that you're not in the pews, it's still a good — it's still a good idea to, if you can, to go ahead and make that donation. All the ministries are continuing to play a vital role in our communities and we encourage your continued support," Pence said.
Evan Semones contributed to this article.