PETERSBURG — Two people were injured in a Christmas Eve house fire, officials said.
The blaze broke out shortly after 12:30 p.m. Friday at a residence on Roundtop Avenue. Crews arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke coming from the rear of the house.
Authorities said the fire started in a bedroom and spread to the attic and roof. Heavy fire and heat damage was reported throughout the house with an estimated cost of $30,000.
Two people suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to Bon Secours Southside Medical Center in Petersburg for treatment.
The cause of the fire was not reported but it was believed to be accidental.
City spokesperson Joanne Williams said the family is being helped out by the American Red Cross.
The Roundtop Avenue fire was the second Petersburg crews responded to within about an hour of each other.
The first was reported around 11:35 a.m. at a residence on Farmer Street. A fire triggered by cooking caused heavy smoke to fill an upstairs apartment and hallway.
All of the people inside were safely evacuated and there were no injuries reported. Damage was estimated at around $2,000.
Bill Atkinson (he/him/his) is daily news coach for USA TODAY's Southeast Region-Unified Central, which includes Virginia, West Virginia and central North Carolina. He is based in Petersburg, Virginia. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article originally appeared on The Progress-Index: Christmas Eve fires in Petersburg VA damage two residences