Here are the share-worthy stories from Washington, D.C., and northern Virginia Patches to talk about tonight:
Gov. Ralph Northam plans to move most of Virginia into phase two of easing coronavirus-related restrictions on Friday, June 5. Northern Virginia and Richmond are directed to remain in phase one, but Accomack County on the Eastern Shore will move to phase two.
Mayor Muriel Bowser disagreed with President Donald Trump's suggestion that governors deploy the National Guard to "dominate the streets" and called his warning that he might deploy the U.S. military to handle the protests in those states as an "ominous."
- Metro Again Suspends Service Early Due To DC Curfew: June 2
- New Coronavirus Cases Remain Low 2 Days Into Phase 1
As protests both violent and peaceful continue in reaction to the police killing of African American man George Floyd in Minneapolis, Gov. Ralph Northam expressed his intentions to listen to the black community and tackle systemic racism in Virginia on Tuesday.
The Stafford County Sheriff's Office fired tear gas at a large group of protesters who were on the Falmouth Bridge Monday demonstrating against the police killing of George Lloyd in Minneapolis and police violence. The tear gas left many of the protesters with burning eyes and trouble breathing. The bridge connects Fredericksburg with Stafford County.
The controversial Confederate Appomattox statue was removed early Tuesday from its place in Old Town Alexandria by the group that owned it.
Wes Unseld, the legendary player for the Washington Bullets who led the team to its only NBA championship, has died at the age of 74, his family announced Tuesday. The Hall of Famer is considered by many to be the most important person in Washington Bullets/Wizards franchise history.
Also Worth a Look Today
- Waste, Recycling Workers To Be Honored In Prince William
- Fairfax Officials React To Death Of George Floyd In Minneapolis
- DC Voters Go To Polls Tuesday For Primary; Results
- 3 Fatal Shootings Under Investigation By DC Police
- 2nd Degree Murder Charge In Double Traffic Fatality
- Vienna Outdoor Dining Flexibility Allowed, Extension Possible
- Falls Church Police Chief, Leaders React To George Floyd Death
- Alexandria Small Business Grants To Help With Reopening Costs
- More Violence Erupts; Sharp Contrast In Trump And Biden Responses
- Nearly 700 Arrested, 25 Police Hurt Amid Philly Turmoil
- Biden Blisters Trump's Response To Civil Unrest: Watch Again
- Hollywood And Van Nuys Endure Looting; Strip Mall Set Ablaze
- Who Got Arrested During Weekend Looting In Chicago?