New Philadelphia VFW to dedicate new headstone for Civil War veteran

A new headstone for Pvt. Jacob Baad, a Civil War soldier, will be dedicated Saturday at Ridge Road Cemetery near New Philadelphia.
A new headstone for Pvt. Jacob Baad, a Civil War soldier, will be dedicated Saturday at Ridge Road Cemetery near New Philadelphia.

NEW PHILADELPHIA ‒ Jacob Baad is the only veteran buried at Ridge Road Cemetery, a tiny graveyard located about four miles east of New Philadelphia.

Baad, who served in Company C, 67th Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War, has a headstone, but it is no longer legible. Now he has a new one, thanks to the efforts of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 1445 in New Philadelphia.

Civil War honors:Tombstones for Civil War soldiers dedicated in solemn ceremony

More Civil War news:Effort launched to save tombstone of Sugarcreek Civil War veteran

A dedication ceremony for the new headstone is planned for 11 a.m. Saturday. The public is invited to attend.

Every May, local service organizations place flags on the graves of veterans. Jerry Chenevey, chaplain for the New Philadelphia VFW, always puts a flag on Baad's grave, because Chenevey lives nearby.

"In the beginning, I could read the wording on Pvt. Baad's headstone," Chenevey said. "Last year, I could not make any of the lettering out. I spoke with VFW Post 1445, which is responsible for placing the flags at seven local cemeteries, including Ridge Road Cemetery."

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs replaces old or damaged veterans grave markers at no cost. The New Philadelphia post agreed to cover the cost of having a new headstone installed. Chenevey submitted the necessary paperwork to the Tuscarawas County Veterans Services Office. The office approved the paperwork and forwarded it to the VA.

The VFW took delivery of the new headstone in November and contracted with a local monument company to have it properly installed, he said.

Baad, a German immigrant, enlisted in the Army on Nov. 18, 1861, at age 30. He was discharged on Feb. 26, 1863, on a surgeon's certificate of disability. After the war, he lived in New Philadelphia and was a coal miner. He died Sept. 4, 1883, at age 54. He has no known descendants in the area.

"It will be an occasion where one veteran remembers and honors another veteran," Chenevey said. "The fact that Pvt. Baad fought in a war from another time and has been gone from this world for over 100 years has no bearing on our commitment as brothers-in-arms to never forget his service.

"We all made the same commitment, took the same oath and fought for and defended the same country. As President Lincoln said during Pvt. Baad's war ― we can never forget."

Members of the 41st Ohio Volunteer Infantry reenactment group from Mount Vernon will participate in the ceremony on Saturday.

They will do a service adopted in 1917 by the Grand Army of the Republic, a Civil War veterans organization, to dedicate headstones. It has been adapted to modern times, said Brian McNamara, the unit commander.

The members of the group will be in Civil War uniforms and give Baad a rifle salute.

"This is something that we're really honored to be able to do," McNamara said. "This is kind of a special thing to rededicate a headstone. As reenactors, it's a great honor to do this. We're actually doing something for an actual soldier versus just a reenactment where we're demonstrating for the public."

Welty Middle School eighth grader Caleb Crowthers is scheduled to recite the Gettysburg Address.

Chenevey noted that the ceremony will take place outdoors, and there is no seating and limited parking. The cemetery is located on Goshen Township Road 306.

This article originally appeared on The Times-Reporter: VFW to dedicate new headstone for Civil War veteran Jacob Baad