As the weather gets nicer and the number of vaccinated people grows, some people have been asking if it's still necessary to wear a mask outside.
- A topic many of us are all talking about as the weather gets nicer and the number of vaccinated people grows, do we still have to wear a mask outside?
- Yeah, it is guidance the government is discussing right now. And for reaction of the possibility of lifting that outdoor mask mandate, we go live to Action News reporter Katie Katro at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Katie.
KATIE KATRO: And Brian and Kristi, we know people have a lot of opinions about this, whether or not you keep your mask on or off. Take a listen.
- I won't wear a mask outside at all.
KATIE KATRO: [INAUDIBLE] Brown is getting some exercise on Kelly Drive with her daughter. And they both have no plans to put their masks on outside.
- We already got to wear it in stores and stuff. It's just like let us have our freedom.
- Does it help to wear your mask outside? Like does it stop the virus?
KATIE KATRO: That's what the CDC is currently looking into, relaxing mask mandates outside as more people are getting vaccinated.
SHANDA BROWN: I hope they do. And I hope it does go into effect real soon. Because like even-- my mask is in the car. I refuse. And if they would have told me I couldn't be out here without it on, I would of got in my car, went home, and got on a treadmill.
KATIE KATRO: Others say they have gotten used to wearing a mask and feel safer with it on regardless of eased restrictions.
- I think we just have to think for ourselves and assess the situation whether or not you want your mask on or off.
KATIE KATRO: A local doctor tells Action News people should keep a mask handy outside in case they run into others.
DELANA WARDLAW: We just have to be aware of who we're around. A lot of times we don't know people's vaccination status.
KATIE KATRO: Anderson Lima says he's vaccinated but raises his mask if he walks by folks.
- When I see somebody, I put it up.
KATIE KATRO: Some say they'll go out of their way to keep their distance.
- It was just us. We're not walking near anyone.
KATIE KATRO: And a spokesperson for the city says as cases are rising, it is way too early to start thinking about relaxing any mask restrictions. Reporting live here at the art museum steps, Katie Katro, channel 6, Action News. Kristi--
- OK, Katie, thank you.