Phoenix home struck with several bullets while family was inside, PD says

PHOENIX - An occupied Phoenix home was riddled with bullet holes early Sunday morning, the police department said.

At around 5 a.m. on Feb. 4, Phoenix Police officers got a report of a shooting near 19th Avenue and Broadway Road.

"When officers arrived, they located the residence and found it to have multiple strikes from what appears to be gunfire. The home was occupied at the time of the shooting; however, no injuries resulted from the shooting," Phoenix Police Sgt. Rob Scherer said.

‘It’s really scary’

"It was around 5 this morning. We were sleeping, of course. We just heard these loud shots … like they were standing in the backyard or standing at the door or something," said Debra Washington.

Needless to say, the sound of bullets piercing through their home in south Phoenix was enough to wake the entire Washington family up.

"She goes looking in her room, and she goes, ‘Oh yeah, mama, look!’ And the bullet had came through the wall and hit the TV in the bedroom," Debra said. "We go looking and in the other room my 93-inch TV got two big holes in it."

The family says they called 911 just after 5 a.m., but police didn't arrive at the home until 6:30 a.m. During that time, they were worried the shooter might come back.

"I thought 911 was for when you needed police? Not an hour and a half later or something like that. It’s really scary, especially when you have little kids," Booker Washington said.

Booker says he's lived in that house for 43 years, but now he's worried about himself and his family.

"I’m 83 years old and I can’t be ducking under the door and anything like that. I have little grandkids here. Two under five years old and the other one is six-years-old. There’s four of them," he said.

FOX 10 reached out to Phoenix Police to clarify when officers got to the home.

Sgt. Scherer explained, "The call was received at 0510 hours. The caller that made this call stated that this incident occurred 10–15 minutes prior to the call to police meaning this was not an in-progress crime. Additionally, it was described that no injuries resulted from the incident. These factors made this call for service a priority 2. Officers were dispatched to the call at 6:30 a.m. and arrived at the scene at 6:37 a.m."

No more information about this shooting is available.

Map of the area where the shooting happened: