PHOENIX — Live sports have been all but shut down since the coronavirus pandemic took hold in March. But now, some NASCAR fans will have the chance to return to the track this November in Phoenix.
Phoenix Raceway announced Friday that a limited number of fans will be able to view the NASCAR championship races for the Cup, Xfinity and Truck Series in person on Nov. 6, Nov. 7 and Nov. 8. But capacity will be limited to 20 percent, which means just 8,400 seats can be filled with racing fans.
"While we wish we could have a full house with the greatest fans in motorsports, the health and safety of everyone is our top priority and we are excited that we can still share this NASCAR championship weekend experience with many in a safe environment,” said Phoenix Raceway President Julie Giese in a statement.
The November races will be the first time a championship has been held at Phoenix Raceway.
The track said that season ticket holders will have first priority for the limited, socially distant seating, but that not all will be accommodated due to the demand. Those who can't attend will receive a credit they can use toward the championship in 2021 instead.
Camping will still be available despite coronavirus concerns, but all campers will be screened for symptoms before they enter the site and all spots are limited to six guests or less. Face masks will be required for everyone over the age of 3 at all times.
“The entire Phoenix Raceway team has been looking forward to hosting the track’s first-ever championship weekend since it was announced in March of last year and we’re thrilled to be able to welcome fans all three days to share in this monumental event for our venue, our community and the entire state of Arizona,” Giese said.