Piers Morgan says it's 'good to have the whole world on my side'

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Julia Hunt
·Contributor
·2 min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Piers Morgan laughs as he speaks to reporters outside his home in Kensington, central London, the morning after it was announced by broadcaster ITV that he was leaving as a host of Good Morning Britain. Picture date: Wednesday March 10, 2021.
Piers Morgan (PA)

Piers Morgan has said it feels good to “have the whole world on my side” in the wake of his Good Morning Britain row.

The presenter stepped down from the ITV show after sparking a controversy when he said he did not believe comments made by Meghan Markle in her Oprah Winfrey interview, which included claims about her mental health and racism within the Royal Family.

Morgan has previously insisted he thinks most people are on his side and has now declared it’s the entire world.

Read more: Jedward say Piers Morgan has blocked them on Twitter after their rant

He tweeted: “Just went for a walk in the park & received fulsome support from a group of Americans, two Filipinos, an Italian man, a French lady & a Polish woman with striking red hair who informed me I have 'the total backing of my entire country!'

“Good to have the whole world on my side...”

Screengrab from Piers Morgan's Twitter
Screengrab from Piers Morgan's Twitter

Morgan's latest post comes after he claimed that members of the Royal Family had expressed gratitude to him for "standing up" for them after Prince Harry and Meghan’s interview.

In an interview with US TV show Extra, Morgan told presenter Billy Bush: "I’ve had some messages communicated to me on behalf of several members of the Royal Family."

April 7th 2021 - Prince Harry The Duke of Sussex and Meghan Markle The Duchess of Sussex announce their first series production for Netflix. - September 2nd 2020 - Prince Harry The Duke of Sussex and Duchess Meghan of Sussex have reportedly signed a multiyear production deal with Netflix. The couple plan to make exclusive documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows, children's programming and additional content through a new production company they have formed. - File Photo by: zz/KGC-178/STAR MAX/IPx 2018 7/11/18 Prince Harry The Duke of Sussex and Meghan Markle The Duchess of Sussex visit Croke Park - the home of Ireland's largest sporting organisation: The Gaelic Athletic Association on July 11, 2018. (Dublin, Ireland)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (zz/KGC-178/STAR MAX/IPx 2018 7/11/18)

Bush then asked if he meant "upper-level people" and the TV star replied: "I’m not going to go into who it was."

Read more: Piers Morgan doubles down on Meghan row with April Fools' Day tweet

"But what I would say is, gratitude that somebody was standing up," added the 56-year-old.

Watch: Piers Morgan says members of the Royal Family have thanked him