Police say butane caused explosion that injured Auburn man

·1 min read

Dec. 20—AUBURN — A 35-year-old man was injured Sunday night in an explosion that occurred when butane was being used to extract THC from marijuana at a house at 53 Broadview Ave. in Auburn, according to police.

The man, who was not being identified Monday afternoon, suffered serious burns and other injuries, officials said.

He was taken by ambulance to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, where he was stabilized and then transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

He is expected to survive, according to Shannon Moss, spokesperson for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Four other people were at the house when the explosion occurred — a 7-year-old girl, a 33-year-old woman, a 70-year-old woman and a 71-year-old man. None was injured, according to Moss.

The explosion caused a minor fire that Auburn firefighters extinguished quickly, but the blast caused extensive damage to the house, rendering it uninhabitable, Moss said.

The Office of State Fire Marshal is investigating the explosion and resulting fire.

This story will be updated.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting