Police said CNN made a mistake reporting that officers found a campsite while looking for Brian Laundrie
Police said no campsite was found in the Carlton Reserve, where police are looking for Laundrie.
A source told CNN a site, apparently recently used, was found as the park was closed for the search.
A police spokesman said CNN's source was "incorrect."
Police denied a CNN report that the remnants of a campsite were found in Florida's Carlton Reserve during the search for Brian Laundrie.
CNN had said that a close to Laundrie's family told its anchor Chris Cuomo on Wednesday that authorities found the remnants of a campsite that appeared to have been used recently.
But North Port Police Department spokesman Josh Taylor told Insider that "No campsite has been found."
He said: "Nothing has been found. CNN has basically retracted the info. The source they used was incorrect."
CNN reported the police denial in different article on Friday, writing: "As the search continues for Laundrie in a sprawling Florida nature reserve, Taylor also confirmed investigators did not find a campsite during those efforts."
The network's original story citing the source had not been changed as of Friday afternoon.
CNN said the source insisted on Thursday that the Laundrie family had indeed been told that a campsite was found in the search.
Police closed the reserve and started searching it last month after Laundrie went missing. He was reported missing by his family on September 17, days after his fiancée Gabby Petito was reported missing after he returned from their road trip alone.
Laundrie was named a person of interest in Petito's disappearance, and the police are still trying to find him.
Petito's body was discovered in the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming on September 19. Her death was ruled a homicide.
Editor's note: This post was updated on October 8 to reflect the police statement that a campsite had not been found.
Read the original article on Insider