How Policing In Philadelphia Has Changed A Year Since George Floyd’s Murder

Howard Monroe reports.

Video Transcript

- And back here at home, it has been one year since a peaceful protest over the death of George Floyd turned into several days of unrest in the city of Philadelphia. Police cars and buildings were set on fire, stores were looted, and protesters were tear-gassed. Eyewitness News Reporter Howard Monroe is live in Spring Garden for us this morning with more on what has changed one year later. Howard, good morning.

HOWARD MONROE: Good morning to you, Jane. Yes, they were protesting and demanding police reforms and other changes. And now, a year later, some of those changes have already been implemented.

In the days following those protests, the statue of Frank Rizzo was removed from outside of the municipal services building. The former police commissioner and mayor was seen by many as the source of many racist police practices. The mayor and city council are now working to create a new police oversight commission. The biggest protests came a week after the demonstrations first began. Nearly 80,000 people peacefully went back to the art museum to march and rally for more reforms, but also to bring the city, region, and country back together.

KALEEM SHABAZZ: Our struggle is to pass the George Floyd policing bill. Our struggle is to work to eliminate qualified immunity for rogue officers.

KAREN DOWNER: This battle has been going on for a very long time.

- It is emotional because you never really know, when you're Black and you live in this country, you know, is it going to be me next? Is it going to be somebody I know or care about?

HOWARD MONROE: Now, the George Floyd policing act continues to make its way through Congress. Meanwhile, back here at home, Mayor Kenney as well as the police commissioner, they both apologized for what happened in the days following those initial protests, saying that they were unprepared, which may have led to the tensions that we saw here throughout this city. Live in Spring Garden, Howard Monroe, CBS 3 Eyewitness News.