Poll: Which Broward high school athlete should be the Miami Herald’s Player of the Week? (May 7)
Broward County’s top athletes delivered more impressive performances as we move closer to the end of the 2022-23 high school sports season.
This week, we continue a weekly feature where we ask you to vote for the best performer of the week in Broward County high school sports.
Below is a look at the five candidates from last week’s action. Take our poll below to cast your vote. The poll will be open until Thursday, May 11, around 10 p.m.
You may vote as often as you like until then.
Here are the candidates from last week’s events:
▪ Gavin McClure, Nova, baseball: McClure struck out six over 5 ⅔ innings and drove in two runs to help the Titans beat Cooper City 5-2 and secure their first district championship in five years.
▪ J.P. Querales, West Broward, baseball: Querales struck out eight over 5 ⅔ innings in relief to lead the Bobcats to a 9-6 win over Western and the District 14-7A championship.
▪ Sammy Murphy, Pompano Beach, softball: Murphy went 3 for 4 with two runs scored to lead the Golden Tornadoes to a 3-1 win over Plantation American Heritage and the District 14-4A championship.
▪ Kelsey Vadnais, South Plantation, softball: Vadnais went 2 for 5 with two doubles and four RBI to lead the Paladins to a 14-4 win over St. Thomas Aquinas.
▪ Tyra Cox, Chaminade-Madonna, girls’ track and field: Cox won the 100, 200 and 400 meter races at the Region 4-1A championships.