Smoke from a fire that broke out at a plastics plant in Grand Prairie, Texas, on August 19, spread across the sky over nearby Arlington on Wednesday.
Grand Prairie Assistant Fire Chief Bill Murray said officials were alerted to the fire just after midnight on Wednesday morning after an overhanging power line fell onto plastic sheeting in a storage area at the Poly-America manufacturing plant near Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control in Grand Prairie.
Because the fire was fueled by polyethylene and petroleum-based items, firefighters said the fire was “likely to continue burning for days”.
Firefighters said they were concerned about the “toxic plume” of smoke rising from the fire and power lines that would come down at some point, reports said. Officials urged residents to stay indoors because of the toxic smoke, which could be an irritant for people with respiratory issues.
This video shows the smoke as seen from Arlington, a few miles away from the site of the fire. Credit: Mark Burnett via Storyful