Portland police arrest suspect in Bayside assaults Friday morning

·2 min read

Jun. 11—Portland police have arrested a city man and accused him of "two separate, unprovoked assaults" in the Bayside neighborhood Friday morning.

Joshua Rezendes, 36, of Portland, was charged with assault and felony aggravated assault and taken to Cumberland County Jail.

"At approximately 8:12 a.m., witnesses flagged down officers in the area of Oxford and Preble streets, reporting a male had just been stabbed," Portland police said in a release. "Officers quickly responded and administered emergency medical treatment to the victim, who had just suffered a severe arterial slash wound to the neck."

The victim was listed in critical condition at Maine Medical Center on Friday.

"As officers were attempting to locate the suspect, they came across a separate confrontation happening in the area of Oxford and Cedar streets" and apprehended Rezendes as he was assaulting another person, police said.

Officers recovered an "edged weapon" from Rezendes, which "led officers to determine that he was also the suspect in the stabbing" at Oxford and Preble streets, police said. There was no further description of the "edged weapon."

The victim in the second assault suffered from a laceration and was released after being treated at Maine Med. It was not immediately clear whether an edged weapon was used in the second assault or if the victim was assaulted in some other way, said David Singer, Portland police spokesman.

The Bayside assaults occurred on the heels of at least four attacks on women in the city's West End neighborhood. Singer said, however, that although "detectives are looking at any possible connection, there is no indication at this time that this is related to other assaults previously reported."

The Scarborough police canine unit assisted in the investigation.

"Detectives continue to investigate the matter, which will be referred to the District Attorney's Office for prosecution. There is no additional threat to the public," Portland Police Chief Frank Clark said in a statement.

If anyone witnessed this incident or has any information that could help police, call 207-874-8575.

This story will be updated.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting