SARASOTA — The Port Charlotte High girls basketball team blitzed Sarasota Christian School early and went on to a 65-23 victory Monday night at the Blazers gym.
The Pirates (4-1) scored the final 13 points of the first quarter and turned it into a 28-2 run into the second quarter.
Yani Hall led Port Charlotte with 17 points, Aryianna Lockey-Progl chipped in with 12 points and five assists and Makayla Russo pulled down seven rebounds for the Pirates. Sarasota Christian (1-2) got eight points from Hailey Knepp.
The Pirates continue a week of road games with trips to Wauchula Hardee County on Tuesday and Charlotte High on Friday. Sarasota Christian returns to action Thursday at Valrico Foundation Christian Academy.
Port Charlotte takeaways
• With the addition of speedy point guard Hall, a senior transfer from North Port High, the Pirates have the speed and quickness to attack the opposition with their pressure defense. “We like to mix it up a lot,” Progl said. “It depends on what we are going against. We have a pretty fast group, so we can press against anybody. It’s just a matter of knocking out some kinks.”
• The Pirates have some cleaning up to do. While dominating the offensive boards in the first quarter, they missed a number of putbacks. “The next three quarters they kind of got better at that,” Progl said.
• Port Charlotte made 2-of-9 free throws in the first half and 4-for-13 in the game. “The funny thing is we practice them and they shoot well, but they’ve got to translate it into the game,” Progl said.
• There was an issue last week of the Pirates playing to the level of their competition, Progl said, but that appears to have been taken care of Monday night. “I didn’t feel like they played to their full potential,” Progl said. “They need to play the best they can, no matter who they are playing. It’s a season. It’s 25 games long. You can’t pick and choose when you want to show up. Every game is important.”
• Progl pointed out the play of junior guard Delaini Morris, who contributed nine points. “She got a lot of offensive rebounds and putbacks,” he said. Also, senior guard Taylor Paille looked to shoot more and scored all eight points in the second quarter. “A lot of times she doesn’t look to shoot,” Progl said. “So it was nice for her to actually look to score.”
Sarasota Christian takeaways
• The Class 2A Blazers moved up in class to play the Class 4A Pirates, and that can only help down the road. Sarasota Christian saw a quick team and had to deal with full- and half-court pressure.
• After jumping out to a 4-2 lead, Sarasota Christian could not dig out of the early hole and ended up going 12 minutes, 1 second without a field goal. The Blazers made only two free throws during that span.
• The back-to-back baskets by Knepp and Reese Scholl in the first 2:10 was the only time Sarasota Christian scored consecutive baskets.
Riverview 63, Bradenton Christian 21
GAME AT: Bradenton Christian School.
TOP PLAYERS: R, Krystal Montas (8 points, 8 rebounds, 8 steals, 5 blocks), Shelby Liashek (11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals), Amiya Lloyd (10 points, 3 assists, 4 steals), Sami Slusarek (10 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 6 steals), Jaylah Wilson (8 points, 2 assists, 4 steals), Myah Hagan (6 points, 2 assists).
RECORD: Riverview (4-0).
St. Stephen's 39, Lakewood Ranch 35
TOP PLAYERS: SS, Jamie Springstead (22 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals), Megan Wolfe (6 points 7 rebounds, 2 blocks).
RECORD: Saint Stephen's (4-2).
Southeast 69, Riverview 61
AT: Southeast High, Bradenton.
TOP PLAYERS: R, Jamier Jones (26 points, 4 rebounds), Jason Jackson (18 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists); S, Malik Banks (18 points), Karmani Gregory (15 points), Aaron Barton (12 points), Rayshaun Dallas (11 points).
RECORD: Riverview (0-1).
UP NEXT: Booker at Riverview, 7:30 p.m. Thursday
Parrish Community 8, Hardee County 0
TOP PLAYERS: PC, Brianne Bonzheim (goal, assist), Hayden Lepley (2 goals), Kendall Hecht (3 goals), Madelyn Portwood (goal), Sydney Weslowski (goal, assist), Alana Risser (assist), Emily Mentzer (assist), Ashley Wagner (2 assists).
RECORD: Parrish Community School (6-0).
NEXT: Tampa Universal Academy at Parrish Community, 5 p.m. Wednesday
Sarasota 4, Out-of-Door Academy 0
MATCH AT: Out-of-Door Academy, Sarasota.
TOP PLAYERS: S, Franki Magnotti (goal, assist), Presley Gaberseck (goal), Cami Kipila (goal), Michelle Prieto (goal, assist), Riley Mayforth, Izzy Ferreira.
GOALIE: Summer Proctor (shutout).
OF NOTE: Brinn Martello and Summer Proctor played well on defense.
RECORDS: Sarasota (6-0); Out-of-Door Academy (1-2).
NEXT: Manatee at Sarasota, 7 p.m. Wednesday
Dennis Maffezzoli is the deputy sports editor for the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and chief reporter for Sarasota Herald-Tribune and HTpreps covering Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte counties. Support local journalism by subscribing.
This article originally appeared on Sarasota Herald-Tribune: PREP ROUNDUP: Port Charlotte blitzes Sarasota Christian in girls hoops