'Pretty Woman' and 'Mamma Mia!' bookend 2023-24 Broadway in South Bend season
SOUTH BEND — American Theatre Guild has announced its 2023-24 Broadway in South Bend season:
• “Pretty Woman: The Musical” — Nov. 3-5: Based on the 1990 romantic comedy about a businessman and prostitute who fall in love, the musical features a score by Bryan Adams and Jim Vallance and a book by the movie’s director, Garry Marshall, and screenwriter, J.F. Lawton, as well as Roy Orbison’s “Oh, Pretty Woman.”
In concert:Incarcerated Re-entry Center residents raise money to send 125 kids to South Bend Symphony
• “Cirque Dreams Holidaze” — Dec. 1-3: Featuring an ensemble of aerial circus acts, sleight-of-hand jugglers, skippers, acrobats and much more, the show wraps a Broadway-style production around an infusion of contemporary circus arts. The performers bring to life a fantastical assortment of holiday storybook characters, including reindeer, nutcrackers and gingerbread people, with new sets, scenery and storylines.
• “Disney’s Aladdin” — March 19-24, 2024: Based on the 1992 animated film, the musical includes the songs from the movie as well as new music written by Alan Menken with lyrics by Howard Ashman, Tim Rice and book writer Chad Beguelin.
• “Stomp” — April 2, 2024 (season add-on, not included in season ticket package): The eight-member troupe uses everything but conventional percussion instruments — matchboxes, wooden poles, brooms, garbage cans, Zippo lighters, hubcaps — to fill the stage with rhythms.
• “Little Women” — April 26-28, 2024: Based on Louisa May Alcott’s 1868-69 novel, “Little Women” follows the adventures of sisters, Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy March, each determined to live life on her own terms.
• “Mamma Mia!” — May 31-June 2, 2024: Set on a Greek island paradise where the sun always shines and set to the hits of ABBA, this tale of love, friendship and identity embarks on its 25th anniversary tour. On the eve of her wedding, a daughter’s quest to discover the father she’s never known brings three men from her mother’s past back to the island they last visited decades ago.
Onstage:Acting Ensemble stages local playwright's work, 'Waiting for Johnny'
All performances are at the Morris Performing Arts Center, 211 N. Michigan St.
Five-show season ticket packages are now on sale for $499-$265. Single tickets will go on sale at a later date.
For more information, call 574-235-9190 or visit broadwayinsouthbend.com or morriscenter.org.
This article originally appeared on South Bend Tribune: Broadway in South Bend features 'Pretty Woman,' 'Aladdin,' 'Mamma Mia!'