"This documentary in the ""Speaking Frankly"" series explores whether the Electoral College helps or hurts American democracy. Watch the full story at cbsnews.com/electoral."
- An original documentary on CBSN.
- The electoral college sets up a system where every vote is not equal.
- The electoral college serves a purpose, and is valuable.
- Electoral votes, or the popular vote?
- It would be more purely democratic if we got rid of the electoral college. But sometimes, simple democracy is not the best idea.
JOE LIEBERMAN: When people on both sides feel that the system is rigged, it divides us.
- 538 people elect the president. That violates our principles of democratic [? governing. ?]
JOE LIEBERMAN: The electoral college made George Bush an illegitimate president from the beginning. It's a terrible disease on American democracy.
- An all-new "CBSN Originals" documentary. Download the free CBS News App to watch.