Prince Andrew will miss the Queen's Jubilee service after testing positive for COVID-19, Buckingham Palace says

Prince Andrew will miss the Queen's Jubilee service after testing positive for COVID-19, Buckingham Palace says
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Prince Andrew won't attend the Queen's Platinum Jubilee service after testing positive for COVID-19.

  • The Duke of York will specifically miss the Jubilee service of thanksgiving at St. Paul's Cathedral.

  • The news follows an earlier decision that Andrew would not attend most of the weekend's celebrations.

Prince Andrew will miss part of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebration after testing positive for COVID-19, Buckingham Palace said.

The Duke of York will specifically be missing the Jubilee service of thanksgiving at St. Paul's Cathedral, representatives for Buckingham Palace and the Duke of York confirmed to Insider.

"After testing positive for Covid, The Duke is naturally disappointed and saddened that he will not be able to join other royal family members at St Paul's Cathedral for a Service of Thanksgiving in celebration of the Queen's 70-year reign," a source close to the Duke of York said in a statement to Insider.

queen elizabeth prince andrew
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Andrew, Duke of York appear on the balcony during Trooping The Colour 2019.Samir Hussein/WireImage

In January, it was announced that Prince Andrew would not be attending most of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

It was previously announced he would not be on the balcony with the rest of the senior members of the royal family during Trooping the Colour, and he would not be representing the Queen in any capacity during the events, sources told Vanity Fair's Katie Nicholl, with one going so far as to say Andrew "is going to disappear from sight."

The January report followed the announcement that Prince Andrew had been stripped of his military titles and royal patronages — a decision Prince Charles and Prince William, heirs to the throne, were "instrumental" in, the Daily Mail reported.

The decision left Andrew to face a sexual-abuse lawsuit from Virginia Giuffre — who accused the prince of sexually assaulting her numerous times as a teen — as a private citizen. In February, Andrew reached a settlement with Giuffre for an undisclosed amount.

Despite being stripped of his titles and patronages, Prince Andrew still escorted Queen Elizabeth to a memorial service for Prince Philip in March in a moment that was not initially supposed to be photographed, according to a royal photographer.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Andrew at Prince Philip's memorial service
Prince Andrew escorting Queen Elizabeth II to Prince Philip's memorial service at Westminster Abbey in London on March 29, 2022. Markup by Insider.BBC

The Queen requested that Andrew escort her against Prince William and Prince Charles' wishes, according to The Mirror.

The moment marked Andrew's first public appearance since settling with Giuffre, and the Queen's choice of escort was criticized by activists, threatening an already delicate monarchy.

A source told the Daily Mail that Charles and William were "dismayed" by the Queen's decision.

Read the original article on Insider