Prince Harry has won another battle for his privacy rights in the face of what he considers media "intrusions."
The Duke of Sussex settled privacy and data protection claims against a news agency that hovered over his country home in a helicopter in January, taking photos directly into his living room and bedroom.
Buckingham Palace said Thursday that Harry accepted "substantial damages" and an apology from Splash News and Picture Agency. The figure was not disclosed; it is expected Harry will donate the money to charity.
"The Duke of Sussex acknowledges and welcomes the formal apology from Splash News and Picture Agency," the palace statement said.
In a longer statement read in open court, Harry's lawyer said the home in the English countryside was chosen because of "the high level of privacy it afforded," but that now he and his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, feel "they are no longer able to live at the property."
The leased country retreat was in the Cotswolds in Oxfordshire, under two hours northwest of London.
Splash says it "recognized that this situation represents an error of judgment," and promised it would not happen again. "We apologize to the Duke and Duchess for the distress we have caused," the agency said in a statement.
Tyrrell said photographs of the home were published by The Times newspaper, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, and also online by other media outlets.
The Sun, also owned by News Corp, published and tweeted a picture of the home in early January, but the photo was not identified as a Splash photo. That story in turn was picked up by publications such as Brides magazine.
Also in January, The Daily Mail published what it claimed was "the first picture" of Harry and Meghan's Cotswolds "country hideaway," although it did not identify the picture as a Splash photo. Later, The Mail reported that Harry and Meghan were leaving their "Cotwswolds country bolthole," where they had been spending weekends, in March because of "security concerns."
"No consent was given to the actions taken by Splash," Tyrell's statement said. "The Duke has had to engage his solicitors to take steps to try to secure the removal of the photographs from these websites. The syndication and publication of the photographs very seriously undermined the safety and security of The Duke and the home to the extent that they are no longer able to live at the property."
Harry and Meghan, plus their newborn son, Archie, who was born May 6, are now living at their newly renovated Frogmore Cottage home on the Windsor Castle estate, about 25 miles west of London, which affords them more privacy than Kensington Palace in London where they had been based.
The young royals, especially Harry, have increasingly chafed about what they view as intrusions by the media and have sought to defend their privacy rights in the courts.
Aspects of Archie's birth, including where he was born, have not been disclosed because Harry and Meghan want to keep it "private."
Harry's brother, Prince William, and his wife, Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, successfully sued a French gossip magazine over topless photos of Kate surreptitiously snapped while they were on vacation at a private villa in the south of France in 2012.
The couple filed a complaint after the photos were published in the magazine Closer and a regional newspaper in the year after their Westminster Abbey wedding.
In September 2018, a French court of appeals upheld a 2017 ruling that two directors of Closer should be fined about $52,500 for breaching the privacy of the sunbathing duchess in publishing the photos. The court also upheld fines for the two photographers who snapped the pictures.
At the time of the original ruling in September 2017, Will and Kate's office issued a statement saying they were pleased, as they “wished to make the point strongly that this kind of unjustified intrusion should not happen.”
Contributing: The Associated Press
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Prince Harry accepts apology from news agency for intrusive images of living room, bedroom