Prince Harry left ‘heartbroken by the situation with his family’, says friend

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Emily Cope
·2 min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
 (Getty Images)
(Getty Images)

The Duke of Sussex has been left "heartbroken by the situation with his family" after moving to the US, according to his friend Tom Bradby.

Bradby – who attended the couple’s wedding in May 2018 – also shed light on the supposed royal rift between Prince Harry and his brother, Prince William, adding that the Duke of Cambridge did not find his position as a senior royal “easy”.

Speaking on Sunday's episode of Love Your Weekend With Alan Titchmarsh, the journalist and author said: "I think [Harry] is heartbroken by the situation with his family, you don't necessarily need to have knowledge to know that, but I think it is true.

"Are they unhappy [in America]? No, I think they are content, the things they are doing they are quite excited by, but I think they wrestle with their position in life – I think they all do."

It’s been one year since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced their groundbreaking decision to step back as senior members of the royal family and become financially independent.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in July 2018Getty Images
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in July 2018Getty Images

Since then the couple have given up a host of privileges – including the use of their royal titles – relocated from London to America with their son, Archie, and launched their own non-profit organisation and podcast, Archewell.

In September they also signed a deal with Netflix, thought to be worth more than £100 million, to produce documentaries, films and children’s programmes.

A one-year review of the move – dubbed “Megxit” – was set for March, but according to reports this has been cancelled as the family feels the “current situation is working”.

Speaking to True Royalty TV’s Royal Beat, royal expert Katie Nicholl said: “My understanding from the Sussexes camp is that there has been communication with the Queen, Prince Charles and with William as well. The general feeling is that this is working.”

Reports of a rift between Prince Harry and Prince William, were laid bare just months in 2019 when Prince Harry said in an ITV documentary, presented by Bradby, that they were on “different paths” and have good and bad days in their relationship.

Bradby told Titchmarsh: "Well, just the situation with the family clearly isn't ideal and it has been a very difficult year for them all.

"To some extent I felt a little bit caught in the middle of them with that documentary, which is a deeply uncomfortable place to be and that is, in a way, why I am always reluctant to say anything more because I don't want to make anything worse or get in between anything or anything like that."

Asked how Prince William finds his position as a royal, Bradby added: "I don't think he finds it easy."

Love Your Weekend With Alan Titchmarsh will be on ITV at 10am on Sunday.

Read More

What Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have done since stepping down

Queen ‘personally’ banned Harry from role at Cenotaph — report