Prince Harry and Meghan have let Royal family down, nearly half of Britons think

Camilla Tominey
·2 min read
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2017 - DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2017 - DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP

Nearly half of British adults believe the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have let the Royal family down, according to the latest polling.

The survey by Savanta ComRes found the same proportion of the public (45 per cent) believe they were right to step down as working Royals, with 43 per cent thinking less of the couple now than they did last year.

It comes after a YouGov poll found on Monday that 49 per cent of British people think Harry should be removed from his place as sixth in the line of succession after Buckingham Palace confirmed on Friday that the Sussexes would not be returning to the royal fold after moving to California last spring.

The announcement came after Harry and Meghan agreed to a 90-minute TV special with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey, which will be broadcast on American network CBS on March 7.

Asked whether they were right to give the no-holds barred interview, 24 per cent of 2189 people polled by Savanta ComRes from Feb 19 to 21 said yes and 37 per cent said no.

The public appears split on whether the Royal family is better off without the couple, with 31 per cent saying yes and 30 per cent saying no.

Chris Hopkins, associate director of Savanta ComRes, said: “Significant proportions of the public – almost half – feel Harry and Meghan have let the Royal Family down, yet back their decision to step away from official Royal life, and therefore there’s a sense from this that the public feel this is the best course of action considering the acrimony that’s played out over the last few years.

“The fact that people are almost equally split over whether or not the Royal family is better with Harry and Meghan in it speaks volumes as to how they’re now perceived, although the public still feel that the tell-all Oprah interview next month is a step too far, even for ex-Royals.”

On Monday, the couple made their first appearance since being stripped of their Royal patronages and announcing they are expecting a second child.

They appeared at a virtual Spotify event to plug their Archewell Audio podcast, named after their 20-month-old son Archie, which is part of a rumoured £30 million deal with the audio streaming platform.