Dominic Lipinski - Pool/Getty Images
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly laid off their 15-person team and are closing their Buckingham Palace office, according to the Daily Mail.
- While a few of their Buckingham Palace office staff may be reabsorbed into the royal household, most are negotiating severance packages, the Mail reported.
- The closing of the Buckingham Palace office is the couple's latest effort to step back as senior royals to pursue business endeavors outside of the royal family.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle laid off their staff and closed their Buckingham Palace office, the Daily Mail reported.
Most of the 15 staff members in their Buckingham Palace office are negotiating severance packages, while a few are being reabsorbed back into the royal household, according to the report.
"Given their decision to step back, an office at Buckingham Palace is no longer needed," a source told the Mail. "While the details are still being finalized and efforts are being made to redeploy people within the royal household, unfortunately there will be some redundancies."
The closing of their UK office is the latest effort in the couple's departure from the royal palace to re-establish themselves in Canada. In January, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex made their bombshell announcement to step back as senior royals to pursue business endeavors outside of the royal family.
The Mail source added that the 15-person team was shocked by the royal couple's decision, but remain "very loyal to the Sussexes and understand and respect the decision they have taken."
Their Buckingham Palace staff is still working on setting up Harry and Meghan's final engagements before the couple fully steps back from their royal duties — including the Mountbatten Festival of Music planned for March 7 and the Commonwealth Day service on March 9, the Mail reported.
Representatives from the Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Read more:
- Actually, it would be pretty easy for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to build a billion-dollar brand
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could breach the terms of 'Megxit' if they pursue private work before officially resigning in the spring
- Prince Harry joins Meghan and Archie in Canada after finalizing a deal to step away from royal duties
Read the original article on Insider