Prosecutor says he may sue for 'unfounded personal smears' on vigilantes' social media

MUNCIE, Ind. — Delaware County Prosecutor Eric Hoffman is considering litigation over online comments that stem from his refusal to file criminal charges related to sting operations conducted by a local vigilante group.

Some supporters of Predator Catchers Muncie — in comments on Facebook and elsewhere online — have suggested Hoffman's policy toward vigilante operations represents a sympathy for sex offenders who prey on children.

Other remarks targeting the prosecutor have been even more inflammatory.

"I've read some of their smear remarks online," Hoffman said Thursday. "The bottom line is, if it continues, with unfounded personal smears online, they may face a civil suit. I may sue them for defamation of character.

"It's one thing to disagree with me. It's (another) thing to make salacious allegations that are unfounded and untrue. That is called slander, libel and defamation of character, and there are repercussions for that."

Previously:Veteran educator resigns from school job after confrontation with vigilantes

Hoffman said his online critics "saying these things are attempting to bully and intimidate me into violating the law and violating the rules of ethics as I see them. I'm not going to do it. It's not going to work, if that's their goal."

Delaware prosecutor cites 'legal, ethical, safety' concerns

The Delaware County prosecutor — unopposed for his bid for a second term in the Nov. 8 election — has said he has several concerns, citing "legal, ethical and safety reasons," about sting operations conducted by non-law enforcement professionals without the involvement of police.

He's noted a related report by the Indiana Prosecuting Attorney's Council, and the stance of the Indiana Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, which directed its members to "not approve, condone, encourage or promote cyber-vigilantism by private citizens."

"I'm not against prosecuting these online perverts, but it has to be done by the law," Hoffman said. "It has to be done legally.

More:Portland man confronted by vigilantes gets 10 years for child solicitation

"If it's done properly, I'm all for it, if the police do it. If these people initiate or find some target, and then turn it over to police, like I've asked them to do, and then a proper investigation is done, I'll file. If that were done in the most recent incident, I more than likely would have filed that case."

Group confronts educator seeking to meet with underage boy

Last weekend, members of Predator Catchers Muncie confronted Greg Dominick, a longtime educator who most recently had worked as an instructional assistant at West View Elementary School, outside the Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Bar in Muncie.

The vigilantes said Dominick was at the northside restaurant to meet with a 14-year-old boy — who was actually an adult Predator Catchers member — he had communicated with online.

That communication included suggestions Dominick would engage in sex acts with the juvenile, the vigilantes said. During an 80-minute confrontation with Dominick that was recorded outside Applebees — released online by Predator Catchers Online — the teacher appeared to indicate a sexual encounter might have taken place had the youth really existed.

Dominick later resigned from his job at West View.

Hoffman said the lengthy exchange between the vigilantes and Dominick — with Predator Catchers members at times expressing outrage of the teacher — likely could not have served as a confession in court. Those involved in law enforcement have to follow a series of rules concerning the questioning of suspects, he noted.

"I think there is a strong likelihood that a trial court judge would suppress that statement because it would be involuntary," the prosecutor said. "You can't do and say some of the things they're doing.

"And I understand in their mind they may be doing what they think is right, but they just don't have the training and experience to do it properly."

Crime news:Ex-Portland police officer draws prison term for child solicitation

In Hoffman's office in the Delaware County Justice Center, photographs of two young crime victims — Lauren McConniel and Marie Pierre — are displayed in frames. Both girls were 5 years old when they died as a result of severe child abuse.

Hoffman and his predecessor as prosecutor, Jeffrey Arnold, pursued charges, and obtained convictions, for those responsible for both deaths.

"Over the past 20 years, I've prosecuted many nasty child abuse cases, several of which resulted in (victims') deaths," he said. "It's really ridiculous to read some of the comments about what people say about my prosecution theory with regards to child abuse.

"If you care to take a look at history... you will see I have a strong history of aggressively prosecuting child abusers, and getting maximum sentences."

Sting operations conducted by Predator Catchers Muncie have resulted in arrests, and convictions, elsewhere, including Jay and Hendricks counties.

Douglas Walker is a news reporter at The Star Press. Contact him at 765-213-5851 or at dwalker@muncie.gannett.com.

This article originally appeared on Muncie Star Press: Delaware County prosecutor: Vigilantes could face civil suit