How a Pueblo musician is escaping a chaotic past through music

Pueblo musician Morgan Cox holds a copy of his newly released vinyl record called “Musica Vessel" at the Analogue Bar in downtown Pueblo on Friday, Feb. 24, 2023.
Pueblo musician Morgan Cox holds a copy of his newly released vinyl record called “Musica Vessel" at the Analogue Bar in downtown Pueblo on Friday, Feb. 24, 2023.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Pueblo musician Morgan Cox lives by the lyrics in his new song which reminds listeners “the sky's not the limit, they got footprints on the moon.”

Those lyrics are the focal point of Cox’s song "Bada Bing, Bada Boom” which is one of 10 tunes featured on a newly released LP (long play) recording dubbed “Musica Vessel.”

His desire to write songs and inspire others through music was born out of his journey from a chaotic environment growing up in Denver to the man he is today. That journey included a psychotic break that brought him to Pueblo for a stay at the Colorado Mental Health Institute as well as the 2021 death of his younger brother who was killed as a result of gun violence in Denver.

“I have always loved music and it helped me. I found myself feeling free and escaping with music that came from different places in my mind, safe places,” Cox explained.

In 2013, Cox had what he described as a psychotic break in which he “ended up hurting someone really bad.” It landed him in jail for two years, followed by a four-year stint at the state hospital.

“I was rehabilitated and found new coping skills to deal with life and not become violent. I started to write, putting my thoughts down on paper, and I thought maybe I can turn some of these thoughts into songs,” Cox said.

Now 32 years old, Cox writes from his experiences. His music is a mix of rap, jazz, alternative, rhythm and blues, and more as he draws inspiration from every genre he likes to listen to and tries "to be different,” he said.

“I was so scared to get a new start, but I started to perform around town and met so many supportive people,” Cox said.

It was a meeting with Javier Quinones at the Grind Haus where Cox worked at the time that would really pave a new path for him.

“He (Quinones) said, ‘Dude, you are such a cool singer. I just want to encourage you to keep singing,’” Cox recalled. “I told him my situation and that I was embarrassed and so he would come and get me every Friday from the state hospital and take me to these open mic events.”

Singing at open mic nights helped Cox build confidence. Quinones would not be the only one to support Cox during his journey.

Mike Hartkop, owner of the Solar Roast coffee shops, Analogue Books and Records as well as the Analogue Bar in the 200 block of North Main Street in downtown Pueblo, took a liking to the young musician after popping in to see him during one of his performances at the Analogue.

“I was just blown away by his charisma,” Hartkop recalled. “He brings it to the stage and I just found myself fixated. He is such a charming man — the real deal."

Hartkop is driven to find people whose music is “so good it deserves to be on vinyl,” he said.

“Mike approached me one day as I performed at his establishment and asked me if I would like to make an LP, a vinyl ‘so you can have something that will last a lifetime,’" Cox said. "I was so excited.”

More local music venues:Here are four venues to explore Pueblo's music scene

Why vinyl in the digital age?

There are those who still observe and prefer the dated practice of using a record player to listen to vinyl recordings, just like the good old days. The majority of music lovers nowadays tend to listen to music on their phone or computer via websites and apps like Spotify, YouTube or iHeartRadio.

Hartkop’s affinity for vinyl is deep.

“I collect vinyl and I probably have nearly 2,000 records at home. I love the sound, the feel, the smell of vinyl,” he said. “You can hear the sound, the direct vibrations and everything my needle picks up."

Despite the expense of making vinyl recordings, Hartkop wanted to team up with Cox to make 300 copies of the limited-edition record. It is available at Analogue Books and Records at 218 N. Main St., as well as all Solar Roast Coffee locations, but Hartkop would prefer fans buy it from Cox directly at one of his live shows.

“I gave him half the records so now he has a piece of merch to sell and $30 (the cost of the record) is going to help him make money. It’s a meal or it will help for his gas bill,” Hartkop said.

The Musica Vessel vinyl is Solar Roast Record’s second release. The first was Inaiah Lujan’s debut solo record, “Echo Brain,” in December 2020.

“I am doing this for people who are making music that I love. As a married father of three I don’t go to bars very often, but now I can have my own personal Morgan Cox or Inaiah Lujan concert in my house,” Hartkop said.

He also likes the fact that 50 years from now, someone could pull out those ancient records and hear those voices again.

Whatever funds Hartkop collects from the two Solar Roast records he’s produced he plans to “put back into the world to help the next musical talent,” he runs across, he said.

Using music as another form of therapy

Cox is quick to point out that the mental health community also helps keep him going, especially his counselor at Health Solutions Pueblo. That relationship was extremely vital when his 22-year-old brother was murdered in 2021.

“It just pushed me to go harder,” he said. “I try to write a song every week and try to make each one better.”

Although his day job is working at Black Box Café in downtown Pueblo, he performs as much as possible at local establishments, especially during the summer months.

“Whenever I can I will get my voice out there,” he said.

Cox said he's thankful Pueblo has welcomed him with open arms and called the community "definitely a diamond in the rough.”

More entertainment news:Things to Do in Pueblo Feb. 24-March 8: Black history, music, art and Broadway theater

Chieftain reporter Tracy Harmon covers business news. She can be reached by email at tharmon@chieftain.com or via Twitter at twitter.com/tracywumps.

This article originally appeared on The Pueblo Chieftain: Pueblo man's music has helped him move beyond a chaotic past