Pueblo West directors defend fellow board member after citizen suggests recall

A citizen who wrote in a comment letter that Pueblo West residents “don’t want another sales tax” suggested it might be time for citizens to recall a Pueblo West Metro District board member.

Pueblo West resident Dena McCrackin's letter was read to the board by a staff member during the citizen comment portion of the board's regular meeting Monday.

McCrackin said when the board voted to allow the county to take over road maintenance last November, it became clear the county would have to do just that by Nov. 22, 2026. In order to help facilitate that transition sooner, county administrators have suggested they would take over the road maintenance in January if Pueblo West residents approve a proposed 1% sales tax during the Nov. 8 election.

“We don't want another sales tax, one which will only give money to Pueblo County for 'road maintenance.' Board members, I urge you, please don't approve the intergovernmental agreement regarding sales tax for road improvements,” McCrackin wrote.

“It's not in our best interest. Look at the wording carefully, it clearly states 'the county is willing to assume road maintenance duties earlier if there are additional funds available for the road maintenance backlog.’

“We want board members that will do what's best for our community. Perhaps this is just one reason of many reasons we should consider a recall of Doug Proal,” McCrackin wrote in her letter.

The recall comment spurred Proal’s fellow board members to respond and defend him.

“Doug Proal has done a great job,” said Kim Swearingen, board president.

“I know Doug is always looking out for Pueblo West Metro. He goes above and beyond — we all donate a lot of time,” said board member Jami Baker-Orr.

“There are so many opinions. We will let the voters decide how much they want to pay for roads and let's get more than 30 to 40% of people voting,” said Joe Mahaney, board secretary and treasurer.

Board member Nick Madero said an election for new board members will be held in May and encouraged disgruntled citizens to run.

“Doug does a lot for this community,” Madero said. “He helped me as a mentor and is a great leader. I don’t think he deserved to be bashed."

Proal said he was disappointed McCrackin had a staff member read her letter and did not come to the board meeting in person.

“We all have a First Amendment right to speak up. A lot of people don’t understand what it takes and the time we invest,” to serve on the board, Proal said.

In connection to the road sales tax issue, the board tabled a draft intergovernmental agreement between the district and the county. The agreement will outline how the county will maintain roads and use the 1% sales tax funds if the ballot measure passes.

More roads news:On the roads again: Pueblo West metro board discusses road repair

Construction company gives update on Pueblo West fire station 2 progress

The board also heard from Vinnie Mattivi of Nunn Construction, who updated the progress of the new fire station 2 project. He said conceptual drawings of the building should come out by mid-January and be finalized by mid-February.

Construction bids likely will go out in mid-June. Mattivi said he anticipates construction will start in August.

Pueblo West residents who want to learn more about the fire station project are invited to attend one of two informal site dedication meetings set for 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct. 15, and again on Saturday, Oct. 29, at the fire station site, 715 S. McCulloch Blvd.

“We will have staff there to answer the community’s questions,” Mattivi said.

In other business, the board approved revising an intergovernmental agreement with the Colorado Department of Transportation to account for an additional $490,000 in grants available for construction of the Joe Martinez Trail between South McCulloch and South Purcell boulevards. The transportation alternative trail project now has a $1.5 million budget, said Sean Winters, a public works department engineer.

Board approves, discusses new water taps in Pueblo West

The board also approved the sale of water taps for Hidden Gem Self Storage at 390 E. Spaulding Ave. and the Hahn’s Peak Self Storage at West Hahn’s Peak and Del Norte avenues.

It also approved three, 1.5-inch water taps for a multifamily residential development planned for the 600 block of Clarion Drive where three six-plex buildings will offer a total of 18 dwelling units.

The board will be asked to vote at its next meeting on the Glaser Properties business planned at 672 N. State’s Ave. in the district’s industrial park area.

“It will be an office and warehouse for a business that is relocating from Colorado Springs,” said Mark Carmel of Carmel Management Co. “The propane distribution business will bring a minimum of seven well-paying jobs to Pueblo West and they will be assembling hoses and valves for the propane business.”

Utilities Director Jim Blasing said the board also will be asked to vote on another water tap at its next meeting, this one for a residential four-plex building planned for 387 Springmont Drive.

In total, Blasing said 151 water taps have been spoken for this year. The board has agreed to limit water tap sales to 400 water taps this year and 400 next year.

In other business, Baker-Orr reported there's a water rate increase in the works for Desert Hawk Golf Course. The rate will go up to $1.56 per 1,000 gallons from the current rate of $1.15 per 1,000 gallons.

She said the golf course will be making a profit this year and its priority is to repay leases to Pueblo County and the metro district by 2025.

More water news:Pueblo West ready for responsible growth with new water tap rules

Chieftain reporter Tracy Harmon covers business news. She can be reached by email at tharmon@chieftain.com or via Twitter at twitter.com/tracywumps.

This article originally appeared on The Pueblo Chieftain: Pueblo West directors stand up for board member after recall suggested