QB Justin Fields rallies the Chicago Bears in the 2nd half for a 19-10 win in rainy conditions at Soldier Field

Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune/Brian Cassella
·2 min read

CHICAGO — Equanimeous St. Brown whipped the football at the wall behind the end zone in celebration early in the fourth quarter Sunday.

The Chicago Bears wide receiver caught an 18-yard touchdown pass from Justin Fields in stride, and the burst of energy within Soldier Field at the team’s first lead of the game was immediate.

The Bears started slow with a scoreless first half but roared back after halftime for a 19-10 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

After a 2.8 passer rating at halftime, Fields rebounded to finish 8-for-17 for 121 yards, two touchdowns, an interception and an 85.7 passer rating. Bears players slid in a puddle-filled end zone at the end of the upset to celebrate.

Fields found a wide open Dante Pettis for a 51-yard touchdown catch, and Khalil Herbert added a 3-yard touchdown run to lead the Bears surge.

Veteran Bears safety Eddie Jackson had his first interception since Dec. 29, 2019, and returned it 26 yards to set up Herbert’s run, which put the Bears ahead 19-10.

Before St. Brown’s catch, Fields opened the 84-yard touchdown drive with a 22-yard pass to Byron Pringle. An unnecessary roughness call on 49ers linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair for a hit on Fields gave the Bears a boost.

Fields found Darnell Mooney for the first time in the game on an 8-yard pass to get the Bears to the 18-yard-line before the touchdown.

One drive earlier, Fields escaped sack attempts from Arik Armstead and Charles Omenihu and looked up to find Pettis wide open on the right side of the field with only open field to the end zone. Pettis caught the lofted pass and ran 30 yards to the end zone for a 51-yard touchdown.

The Bears defense held the 49ers to only a field goal in the second half.

The 49ers got to a second-and-goal at the 2-yard line on their opening drive of the second half. But safety Jaquan Brisker stopped running back Jeff Wilson Jr. for a loss of 2 yards and Dominique Robinson and Roquan Smith combined to sack quarterback Trey Lance on third down.

The 49ers went to kicker Robbie Gould, who made a 25-yard field goal for a 10-0 lead.

The 49ers were playing without three-time Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle and starting running back Elijah Mitchell, who left in the first half with a knee injury and didn’t return.

On a rain-soaked day, Bears kicker Cairo Santos missed two extra points, and holder Trenton Gill was called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for bringing a towel onto the field to dry it before a Santos 47-yard field-goal attempt. The penalty pushed the Bears out of field-goal range.

©2022 Chicago Tribune. Visit chicagotribune.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.