Queen shuts down Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's latest request: report

Shut down by the Queen.

Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle's latest request to go against the grain has been denied by Her Majesty and Prince Charles, the Sunday Times of London reports. According to the outlet, before splitting their royal court from Kate Middleton and Prince William, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had unsuccessfully requested "total royal freedom."

"They wanted their household to be entirely independent of Buckingham Palace, but were told 'no,'" a source told the Times of Meghan and Harry's new office, which is jointly funded by Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles. "There is an institutional structure that doesn't allow that kind of independence. The feeling is that it's good to have the Sussexes under the jurisdiction of Buckingham Palace, so they can't just go off and do their own thing."

SEE ALSO: Meghan Markle to lose yet another staffer ahead of royal baby

Essentially, Harry and Meghan were seeking approval to operate out of the watchful eye of the Queen, but both she and Charles didn't think that was a good idea.

The report went on to detail the couple's alleged desire to create an international "Sussex brand" of philanthropy and humanitarianism, with Meghan in particular wanting to grow her own role as a humanitarian.

Last week, the Sussexes' split from the Cambridges was confirmed by the palace, which explained that a separation of Harry and William's previously conjoined offices reflects "their increasingly different responsibilities." Indeed, while second-in-line William is taking on more official responsibility in preparation for the throne, Harry will continue try to define his role outside of his official duties, as he likely will never take to the throne.

SEE ALSO: Kate and Meghan make telling move following reported royal feud

"This long-planned move will ensure that permanent support arrangements for the Duke and Duchess's work are in place as they start their family and move to their official residence at Frogmore Cottage," the palace said last week.

The move, which was indeed approved by Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, will result in Harry and Meghan's office moving from Kensington to Buckingham Palace. They're expected to move to Frogmore in the coming weeks as they prepare for their first child, reportedly due in late April.