Commencement Speaker Rob Hale gave each Quincy College graduate $1,000, but they have to give half away. WBZ-TV's Bill Shields reports.
- Well, tonight, we are here for this-- a big graduation surprise for students at Quincy College. Each of them received $1,000.
- But there is a big twist here. They were only allowed to keep half, as WBZ's Bill Shields shows us.
BILL SHIELDS: Commencement day for Quincy College graduates. And as they file into Veteran's Stadium, none of them have a clue as to what's about to happen. The mayor perhaps gave them a slight clue.
TOM KOCH: Our nation needs your charity, needs your love, as you progress in your careers, in your life.
BILL SHIELDS: As the sun grew hotter and the ceremony longer, the commencement speaker took the stage. Rob Hale is president and founder of Granite Communications.
ROB HALE: If you give, I promise you, in the long run, you'll be the recipient of the positive energy.
BILL SHIELDS: Hm. Giving was becoming a theme. Then Rob Hale delivered the surprise.
ROB HALE: We're going to give you each [? of ?] $1,000 cash right now.
[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]
BILL SHIELDS: Each graduate, all 230, got $1,000 cash. But $500 had to go to someone in need.
BEATRIZ MARTINS: I'm speechless. I don't have any words to describe what emotion I feel right now.
BILL SHIELDS: And this graduate already had someone in mind.
- I have a roommate, and [? they're ?] going through a lot right now. So--
- You're [? going ?] to help the roommate.
ROB HALE: And it does feel like it's a great pay-it-forward. You've done a wonderful thing. Now share that with everybody else.
BILL SHIELDS: So a couple of hundred students got a great boost to start their careers, not to mention a huge incentive to pay it forward. In Quincy, I'm Bill Shields, WBZ News.
- That's about one of the best commencement speeches ever.
- That might be my favorite story that I've seen in a very long time, and to see how emotional the young students got knowing what they were doing.
- I know. And to teach them to give it away--
- --was just tremendous.
- Granite does a lot of great things for a lot of people in the community.