Apr. 30—Memories of racing and dad
DELPHOS — George Mox, of Delphos, owns this 40's and 50's sprint car. The car was originally owned by George Place, of Delphos. Place was in the middle of restoring the car when he passed away on Oct. 11, 2014, at the age of 93. At that time, Place had straightened the frame, but that was it; the car was in pieces.
The remnants were sold to Doug Butler and he was in the process of restoring it when Mox saw it and decided he had to have it. His decision was mostly influenced by the fact that he was now married to Place's daughter, Carol Place-Mox.
George Place was a winning racer. From 1949 to 1951, Place won more features at Landeck than any other driver. The car was raced at Landeck Speedway in Landeck, Ohio, Allentown Speedway (now UNOH), New Bremen and Eldora. Place occasionally raced at Toledo, DeGraff, Columbus, Cincinnati and Fort Wayne. In 1953 this car was raced at the Little 500 in Anderson, Indiana. That race is still held the weekend of the Indy 500.
The frame is a 1933 Chevy and the axles are from a 1940 Ford. The engine is a Hudson engine, as Place wouldn't have it any other way.
"In its racing days, it had a Hudson Hornet and later a 7X Hudson engine that was winning the early NASCAR races at Daytona," said Carol Place-Mox.
When Mox purchased the car from Butler, Butler had installed a GMC motor. That was one of the first items changed.
Mox completed the restoration with the help of Bill and Duane Place, who are George Place's sons, as well as Kevin Place, his grandson.
Mox enjoys driving the car around the yard once in a while and plans to take it to some parades and car shows this year.