Pac-12 Networks' Jordan Watkins and Jenna Becerra breakdown the action from both ends of the double-header between California softball and Utah softball on Saturday afternoon. The Utes took the opener by a final of 4-3 but the Golden Bears got revenge in the second leg with a 6-4 triumph. Late-inning home runs from Ellessa Bonstrom and Alyssa Palacios clinched the Utes win in game one. But the Golden Bears answered in game two with big flies of their own from Sona Halajian and Makena Smith. Haylei Archer pitched six innings of two-run ball to pick up her 8th win of the season in game two.
- As a fun doubleheader, a day of two softball games in Burkley. And both teams taking one win apiece. Utah takes game 1 for 3. And then Cal comes back with a 6 for 1 of their own. And in game 1, it was all about the big time hits for Utah starting off with a pinch hit double from Destiny Quiles.
- Talk about making the most of your opportunity. She'd been hitting it on the screws all day just foul but finally gets the big one.
- The UTs were not done there. Coming up next. She was back in the lineup after missing the first game. Ellessa Bonstrom takes one deep out to center. But the UTs again we're not done. How about one more for you, Alyssa Palacios. It was a game of Alyssa's. And this one had absolutely no doubter except, no, I'm just kidding. No. Listen to catch at the wall. Just want to watch it for a second, and that's really what did it for Utah in that first one.
Will we go to game 2 though. The Bears dig the long ball. Starting off with Sona Halajian.
- You know, I love pitchers who can hit. I love pitchers who can contribute in any way possible. And she did just that. Give yourself round of applause, Sona. You're an athlete.
- And of course, the Masters are going on in gust. But on the other coast, we still have a little bit of golf action ourselves. Makena Smith going down to dig this one and taking a dip out of here.
- There's a reason she's the rowlings player of the game. She's leading this team behind the dish and in the batter's box. Excellent job.
- With such a huge hit that 3 run homer right after Utah. Had 3 runs of their own. To break it up, 6-3. And that is how it went down at Levine Frickey field today. Again, you look at your two players, Ellessa Bonstrom from two for four in game 1. Then Makena Smith you just heard her admit wasn't the best game for her, but she definitely made up for it in game 2.
- Finish strong.